PDA

View Full Version : 55gallon tank equipment recommendations.

Burbs
Tue Aug 31, 2004, 09:12 AM
I have a 55 gallon tank and would like to hear what you recomend for equipment lights, filters, air pump, etc
I have been doing my reading. Does anyone have the Aquaripure Nitrate removal system? Do you like it?

flukes
Tue Aug 31, 2004, 02:11 PM
I split this up for you so you can get more info,

For lighting just a standard 5ft reflector will do, depends on if you want too keep it bare bottom or not. If you choose bare bottom or even hardier plants that are easy too keep, even a 4ft reflector will do.

For globes go to bunnings lighting section. They have Tri-phosper globes that are cheaper than aquarium globes and have more beams of light. (3)

If you want too keep a planted tank with harder to keep plants then more light will be required, but if this is your first discus tank then i recommend bare bottom and have some plants in pots if you wish.

For filtration there are a few different ways you can go, a large cannister or 2 small ones, 2-3 H.O.B filters, an internal section where the water is passed through the media or a wet/dry trickle with a sump. (might be a bit complicated for your first tank, but if your good with DIY then probably your best bet.) And of course every tank should have a sponge filter.

For you air pump a basic model will do, run it off the sponge filter so youhave good water clarity from the sponge aswell as oxygen for the tank.

I havent heard of the Aquaripure Nitrate removal system, but most of the nitrate filters i have seen arnt what they are cracked up too be. Where did you see/find this?? Would like to have a look and hopefully get one so i can do some proper research and test on it.

HTH Any other questions just ask.
You need too tell us more about what you want before we can help you further, like bare bottom or planted. What strains you going too keep and what maintaince you think you can maintain.