PDA

View Full Version : CO2 Overdose DISCUS IN TROUBLE

ellwa
Wed Oct 11, 2006, 01:41 AM
Hi,

Just got up, and after thinking my CO2 cannister was empty yesterday,, i didn't turn it off properly, and it was pumping CO2 at crazy speed.

All my fish are out, and upside down, the tetras are all floating around being wierd, and the discus are just upsidedown not really moving around, but still breathing.
my pleco looks lost, but is still freaking out I think.

I am doing a waterchange at the moment as fast as I can, and I've got an airstone going, but I am about to get the other airstone out

any ideas what I can do to get the PH back up before all my fish die?

thanks

elliot

triumph1921
Wed Oct 11, 2006, 02:07 AM
Hi there

There is a powder available at most aquarium shops which stabilises the ph at 7 . Maybe if you grab that and put in the required dosage this might stabilise the PH.
Atleast thats what i did when my PH swung wildly :lol: due to CO2.

Hope that helps

ellwa
Wed Oct 11, 2006, 02:12 AM
I have removed about half of the water, and have two airstones, and am in the process of re-filling with 2-stage filtered water.

I can't get to an aquarium shop until after I have refilled the tank, and I guess I don;t really have an option other than putting addatives in my water.

the CO2 had only been on for about half an hour or so when I spotted it, and I'm kicking myself for letting it happen.

my smallest discus is lying on his side at the back of the tank, still breathing, but not much, and my two mature turqs are breathing, but still upside down.

I'll keep you posted...

thanks

ellwa
Wed Oct 11, 2006, 05:56 AM
Well, crisis somewhat averted.

as soon as I noticed the CO2 RACING into the tank, i pulled the plug for the solenoid and turned the air on. I got the other airstone I have as backup, and the Sponge filter into the tank, and got air going in.

I then did a big syphon, about 50%[80L], I'd done about 30% routine change last night.

I then, with all the air still running, ran the water line from the two stage filter in, and added about 25% water back to the tank over about 90minutes[so about 40L]

The fish were upside down gasping for air, all of the discus particularly.

They are now all swimming about a little, not interested in food or anything, but now would I be.

Basically, a water change, and lots of oxygen and they are looking better.

I am going to do another water change tomorrow morning, and fill the tank backup to its top point, and leave the CO2 off for the next week or so, and just leave the air on. I'm sure its not the best thing for my plants, but with the quality of the fish, the plants can suffer for a little while.

I managed to avoid using any chemicals, which I am happy about.

I am, however, sad to say that I lost two of my little red serpae tetras, and my Royal Whiptail. Very sad.

Hopefully others will be able to learn from my experiences.

Elliot.

Merrilyn
Fri Oct 13, 2006, 06:57 AM
Very sad to hear that Elliot. Fortunately you caught it in the early stages, and hopefully the others will recover fully.