PDA

View Full Version : Do discus like current?

nealio
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 05:07 PM
I'm new to discus I was wondering if discus like current, or still water?

While I'm setting up my 60G I have two 1" discus fry in a 30G. I have a magnum 350 set up to it with the micron filter and its pushing out a ton of current for the 30G.

They seem to go thru it every once in a while like it’s a ride and float thru the current to the other side of the tank, then at other times they look like they could be annoyed with it. One never shows stress bars, and the other one always seems to show them. The one that never shows the bars seems to pick on the other one a bit and that’s why I think his or hers bars are showing. I’m getting 5 more once I set up the 60G so hopefully the bigger one will leave the smaller one alone.

mcloughlin2
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 10:17 PM
The answer to your question would be yes and no ...

First of all, discus do not appreciate extremely high water turnover ...

They like their water turned over say 4-6 times IMO per hour ...

Anymore then that and they can become stressed ... However if you don't provide enough water current the water will become dirty which discus also don't appreciate ..

So i would aim for a water turn over of 4-6 times an hour ... Try to direct the spray bars so as not to create to much current in the tank ...

HTH :wink:

mcloughlin2
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 10:19 PM
Also depending on the strain of your discus, the stress bars can be more pronounced or hardly visible ..

Some turks have the strain visible all the time, but others only when they're sick ... :)

nealio
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 10:53 PM
Well I'm glad I asked.

If my magnum is working correctly I"m getting 11.6 an hour. :shock:

Ill put a sleeve on the polish cartridge and see if that slows it down a bit. It really rocks the first couple of days with a new filter, and then the current starts to weaken as the cartilage gets dirty. I have the quick disconnect fittings, but I can't fit them on because the canister is sitting right next to the tank. The tank is taller than the canister so it still works, but the tubing is literally 6" from the spray bar to the canister.

They are striated discus, and I believe they only show bars when they are stressed.