PDA

View Full Version : Overflows for sumps.

flukes
Mon Aug 30, 2004, 03:35 PM
Ok there are so many differenyt ways of making overflows i just want feed back on how people are going using there method.

There are 3 i can think of.
1. The over flow box with "U" shape connecting the drain to the box.

2. The over flow into the "T' pipe which determines water level.

3. The sectioned off overflow, with the stand pipe.

If anyone can explain and post pic of how the set it up that would be great. So far iam going with number 2 because ive done it before and it works, no.1 i dont like for some reason. And 3 i havent tried but i am quiet curious.

Ro i know you have smething similar too no.3 could you explain how it works and maybe post some pics, this one iam having trouble with the design and how it works.

Cheers
Scott

Proteus
Mon Aug 30, 2004, 09:36 PM
It is simply a partioned off area, 3-4cm's lower than the tank lip.

a 19-24mm hole is drilled in the base, with appropriate fittings in place.

other options...

http://www.aks.net.au/overflow.html

http://www.aks.net.au/bioskim2000.html
(these look really good with some DIY adjustments, one motha of a pre-filter)

kalebjarrod
Tue Aug 31, 2004, 09:09 AM
NUMBER 1.

this uses the syphon/osmosis concept to keep both perspex containers at an equal water level

water must be filled in the syphon's u shaped tube, then the water will naturaly try and find an equal level on both sides of the syphon tube

if you continue to take water from one side of the container the water will naturally flow from the other side to try to equallize this water level

flukes
Tue Aug 31, 2004, 02:01 PM
beautiful, hopefully we can get some pics and detailed explaination on each or any other some might use so we can us this as a refrence.

Personally i dont like #1 for some reason, not sure why it works well with no holes needed for the tank but i think its the box in the tank i dont like.

Anyway ill try get some more info and pics on other overflows.

Thanks mate.

africandiscus
Wed Sep 01, 2004, 02:21 AM
Will this work with a canister filter?

Proteus
Wed Sep 01, 2004, 02:45 AM
YES!!!

africandiscus
Wed Sep 01, 2004, 03:57 AM
Thanks, I am not a handy man so I would have to buy one. Where would I get one locally. Here is one in the US

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CR1513

kalebjarrod
Wed Sep 01, 2004, 09:16 AM
NUMBER TWO.

uses the concept of a syphon and an air lock as a break for this syphon

water is sypohned out of the tank through the "snake like" piping

this primes the system

the tee peice is called a "air lock"

when the water line of the tank drops below the air lock level it causes the syphon to cease.

the plumbing dosn't lose prime though due to the configeration of the tubing

when the water level increases above the air lock gravity starts the syphon process again until the water level once again falls below the air lock

Billy
Fri Sep 10, 2004, 02:41 PM
hi i've made one overflow pipe "the snake one" and tested the flow rate of the this pipe. Here is the setup and result:

Tank size: 18" cube. water height at 17"
size of tubing: 19mm pipe
the air lock is at 5" from the top

the flow rate i m getting is only 360lh
took 10secs to fill up 1 litre.

i've an overflow box setup used for my 4ft tank but using 25mm pvc pipes and i can hold the water level at 2" from the top of the tank using a 2000lh pump at 1m head (approx 1000lh).

i know i can increase the flow rate by lower the air lock point
but if the pump stop working, the water level will drop to that
level.

How can i improve the flow rate of this pipe?? should i add
another one to this tank (will be used in a 4ft tank) or use a bigger pipe?? any ideas ??

kalebjarrod
Fri Sep 10, 2004, 09:58 PM
thats the problem with these pipe systems, they don't handle huge amounts of water.

i use bulkheads personally, i buy more bulkeads than some of the water tank installers on the goldcoast. none leak great flow rate. getting pretty good at installing them now too!

flukes
Sat Sep 11, 2004, 05:50 AM
Do you drill the tanks Ryan?

kalebjarrod
Sat Sep 11, 2004, 08:18 AM
i don't own the drill bit yet but i do drill out my water tanks, pots and anything else i need a bulk head on

i just can't justify the $180.00 for the glass drill bit yet when i only have three tanks and thier all already done

glasiers will do the job for you, so will alot of the LFS store for a fee

ITS NOT A HARD JOB, just have to be patient and don't push the drill bit let the drill bit do the work for you