PDA

View Full Version : Really want to keep discus, its just the pH.

ElenasALH
Tue Oct 03, 2006, 08:18 AM
I've been in the aquarium hobby for almost 10 years now and have some books about discus. I really want to start an average discus tank after I graduate(nursing), but its the constant acidic pH that is kinda preventing me from buying this fish. I have read a post on this forum on how discus keepers kept their discus at a pH of 7.4-7.6 and everything seemed normal. I just need some advice.

samir
Tue Oct 03, 2006, 08:54 AM
what is your location ?

FishLover
Tue Oct 03, 2006, 01:24 PM
My tap water comes out at 7.8, and it shoots up to 8.3 a day later.

I use Discus Buffer (and Prime to dechrlo too) to treat the water first in a container for about 15 minutes, which lower it to about 6.8, I then pump it into my tank. The pH stays there before my next WC. It works for me. Believe me, I tried almost everything, including peat treatment inorder to bring down the pH. This is the only thing working for me.

Some people say Discus would not breed in water treated with Discus Buffer because it is a phos buffer, which I don't know yet because mine are not mature yet. It really does not botther me since I really don't have room for breeding tanks. Another thing you may want to think about it is that Discus Buffer would not work if you have a planted tank. Your algae will grew out of hand due to the lights and phos.

You may want to do some research on this and see if it works for you.

What you really need to do is first measure your water pH correctly:
1. put the tap water in a cup, measure the pH
2. Wait for 6, 24 and 48 hours, measure and record the pH,

If your pH does not change much, you are lucky. Otherwise, you need to treat it or aging your water. Let us know the numbers before we can offer any help.

ElenasALH
Wed Oct 04, 2006, 11:32 PM
My initial pH is 7.4, after about a day I checked it again and it was still the same. My location is Anchorage, Alaska.

FishLover
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 02:00 AM
I would use Discus Buffer to bring it down to 6.8

Some people don't like it. IMO, as long as you are not breeding it, you shuld be ok.

Robdog
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 02:51 AM
Ah Alaska. Animal heaven on earth. What I'd do for a trip up your way!

Give the Discus buffer thing a go. Once you go discus you never go back.

ElenasALH
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 06:00 AM
So, its ok not to use discus buffer if I am not going to breed them?

Mulisha
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 06:53 AM
I think u should give Seachem Discus Buffer a go and see how you go remember a stable PH is better then a unstable one.

samir
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 07:12 AM
you can keep and breed discus at that ph without any problems . an acidic ph is more desirable but not absolutely necessary.

nicholas76
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 07:23 AM
ElenasALH

have you found a place to buy your discus? the local LFS? if so simply just ask them what ph they keep there fish in.

you will probably find its the same as your tap water anyway. :!:

ElenasALH
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 06:56 AM
There is only one local fish shop here that carry only the popular species of freshwater fish :( . I just sent an e-mail to Utahdiscus.com to see if they ship to Alaska. Would it be alright if I started with (2) discus just to see how things go?

nicholas76
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 07:10 AM
They generally do better in bigger shools when young

alos depends on your tank size too mate

FishLover
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 09:32 PM
Depend on your tank size, I would go foe more than 2 since you have to pay about $70 (maybe more for Alaska) for S&H no matter if you get 1 or 6. Ask the shipper to put in some heat packs for you since Alaska is getting cold these days.

Go for a good on line dealer. Check my sticky 'bying discus' for tips.