PDA

View Full Version : Gold Rams ok?

MattB
Tue Oct 03, 2006, 02:08 AM
Hey;

I'm going down to my LFS today and I'm thinking of purchasing a gold ram pair but not sure if my tank is suitable. It is 190L; 5 juvie discus, 4 cories, 20 neons.

Water Parameters:
Amm: 0
Nitri: 0
Nitra: no test kit :(
pH: 6.8
gH: 4 degrees.

Would this setup pose any problems, and am I overstocking in the long run by the time I have 5 adult discus etc. Also; are there any special care requirements such as feeding, aclimatising, sensitivity etc?

Thanks;

Matt

*They are apistogramma raminezeri

k0b0i
Tue Oct 03, 2006, 02:33 AM
I don't think it should be a problem.

With your current water conditions they'll be fine. Despite what i've read on forums here and there, Rams aren't all that hard to keep and IMO quite hearty (compared to almost all apisto types). i'm sure alot will agree on that too.

I reckon they'll be a nice addition to your tank :)

HTH

*Chris*
Tue Oct 03, 2006, 03:25 AM
they are actually papiliochromis ramerezi
and yes they should be fine as long as the discus dont steal ther food
EXAI

ren
Tue Oct 03, 2006, 03:44 AM
i've got 6 blue rams in my tank - i think theyre pretty much the same behaviour wise as the golds - and they all get on fine :)

the rams get plenty of food in my tank theyre faster than my discus and get right into the thick of it when i drop the bloodworms in etc

would actually like to get some golds in there as well so let us know how they go :)

MattB
Tue Oct 03, 2006, 04:53 AM
Gah, just went to the LFS and they were all out. Oh well, I'll have to wait for another time :(

Del
Tue Oct 03, 2006, 08:38 AM
I was told that the Blue and Gold Rams should'nt be kept together as they fought... is this untrue?

DEL

wickedglass
Tue Oct 03, 2006, 09:54 AM
Del,
blue and gold rams are the same species of fish. golds are a tank bred colour morph. blue and gold rams will fight just as little or much as a tank of just blues, and the fighting depends mostly on breeding readiness, etc etc.
I've kept blues and golds together with no problem.

Robdog
Tue Oct 03, 2006, 09:59 AM
What happened to mikrogeophagus ramerezi? :wink:

A few of them would be fine in your tank. Personally I think the Blue Rams are nicer looking than the golds but they have their charm also. As far as keeping blues and golds together, it's no different than having a colony of all blues or all golds. The gold is just a colour morph of the blue so they will live happily ever after and even breed together.

They are great little fish, some with massive attitude though. The other day I saw a lone female blue with about 10 wild angels bailed up in the corner of their tank. The angels were 5 times the size of the Ram but if any of them moved they copped it big time.

SandyLynne
Tue Oct 03, 2006, 08:05 PM
When I bought my Blue Rams and Bolivian Butterflies they were sharing a tank with Gold Rams at the LFS. All seem to get on just fine.