PDA

View Full Version : feeding juvie discus.

Lisa D
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 04:11 AM
Hello hello!

I was referred here by one of the guys from seaview aquariums in Perth (don't know which one cuz they never tell me mind you). So I've got a question for you.

I'm new to discus. I was given 6 juvies (approx 2 - 2.5") by a breeder I know, had them since friday (sept 22nd). Now, at first they kinda hid in the tank (its a 270L/72US gallon bowfront display tank - quasi-heavily planted - lots of foreground plants including rather tall 'dwarf' sags), but now they're getting bolder. They even chase my bosemani rainbows I have in there.

But my problem is this. Although they're getting bolder, and the breeder said they'd hide in the plants alot - which they don't really do. I'm having difficulty feeding them.

I KNOW they're semi-interested in food - I've seen them take nibbles at the snails I have in the tank, but when it comes to either flake food, pellets or frozen discus delight (not sure whats in it - its a commercially made food designed for discus which i've been using on other fish also) when we put any of the above in the tank, they go and hide.

I've never actually seen them eat flake or any of the other foods I've given them. I've tried different times of the day, after the lights were out, you name it i've tried it.

Any suggestions? Color seems to be fine (not sure exactly what color they are at this point - they're showing SLIGHT signs of some blue, but I guess because of their age they're more brown at this point. Stripes are showing, they'll darken or lighten depending on mood I guess.

pH is 7.2, ammonia is 0, nitrite and nitrates are normal. Temp is 84F/28C currently.

Any other suggestions as to what to feed? I'm getting the spousal unit to talk to the breeder tomorrow to see what they've been feeding. Water changes are 10% every two days right now - but as I've said, its HEAVILY planted and the tank is established. There's more plants than fish in the tank at this current time, and will probably stay like that.

Thanks for your help.

Lisa D

Nathan
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 05:18 AM
hello Lisa and a very big welcome to the forum, i hope you enjoy your time here!

well first of all theyve not even been in the tank for a week, discus are very sensitve especially to moves. They can take up to 2 weeks before they start eating so you dont need to worry to much. As long as you have good water params an low traffic around the tank they should start to eat in a few days or so.

if your able to offer them live food like brine shrimp, they go crazy for the stuff and will most likely eat it.

So dont stress to much as this is extremely common and they can take up to a month before they settle in completely.

if you ahve any further questions please help as everyone will gladly give u a hand

samir
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 05:41 AM
try frozen bloodworms

mcloughlin2
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 11:37 AM
I was referred here by one of the guys from seaview aquariums in Perth (don't know which one cuz they never tell me mind you). So I've got a question for you.

Were you recently on holiday in Australia? Just wondering because your location says your from dallas TX ... :?

I'm new to discus. I was given 6 juvies (approx 2 - 2.5") by a breeder I know, had them since friday (sept 22nd). Now, at first they kinda hid in the tank (its a 270L/72US gallon bowfront display tank - quasi-heavily planted - lots of foreground plants including rather tall 'dwarf' sags), but now they're getting bolder. They even chase my bosemani rainbows I have in there.

When you keep discus in a heavily planted tank with lots of hidey holes they will often become shy, hiding most the time and not coming out to feed ....

Give them at least 3 more weeks though, and if the problem has not been fixed then maybe try taking out some of the plants ..

KNOW they're semi-interested in food - I've seen them take nibbles at the snails I have in the tank, but when it comes to either flake food, pellets or frozen discus delight (not sure whats in it - its a commercially made food designed for discus which i've been using on other fish also) when we put any of the above in the tank, they go and hide.

This just means they are settling in still-give them as i've said at least another 3 weeks to settle in .... They will at first, point blank refuse food in some cases, then they will gradually accept foods as offered .. Try Frozen brine shrimp, or bloodworms as been mentioned ..

I've never actually seen them eat flake or any of the other foods I've given them. I've tried different times of the day, after the lights were out, you name it i've tried it.

Again, they are settling in .. :P

pH is 7.2, ammonia is 0, nitrite and nitrates are normal. Temp is 84F/28C currently.
Try lowering your pH very slowly to about 6.8 ... while they will be absolutely fine with 7.2 a pH of 6.8 may do wonders you never no ..

Seaview
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 12:26 PM

Were you recently on holiday in Australia? Just wondering because your location says your from dallas TX ... :?

She actually use to live here in Perth a few years back but moved there to live with her hubby. she use to be a regular customer/friend and we still comunicate through email and icq. she mentioned a few weeks back that she was thinking about getting some Discus and i refered her here as calling us all the time for advice would rack up a huge phone bill for her. :P

Welcome to the Forum Lisa and hopefully you can get the little guys to eat. Lets hope you can find some Bloodworms and rear up those brine shrimp you got. :)

Mike

Lisa D
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 12:40 PM
hey! If I recall, I was such a regular there I was considered part of the furniture, AND other customers thought I worked there!

Thanks for all the suggestions. We're a little concerned about them needless to say.

Dee
Thu Sep 28, 2006, 07:16 AM
Hi Lisa D,

I would wait a few more days before you start to worry ... I have had discus in the past that have taken up to 7-10 days before eating properly ... give them some time to settle in. If after that time they are still not eating, put up a post and I'm sure members will have some ideas to get them going. As Samir said, try some bloodworms ... if not try some brine shrimp.

Best of luck with them :)

Cheers,

Dee :D

FishLover
Thu Sep 28, 2006, 01:38 PM
My discus go crazy on frozen bloodworms. You could give that a try. Or ask the friend who gave you the discus what he fed them.

Lisa D
Sat Sep 30, 2006, 05:37 AM
update :

they're now eating. won't touch the flake food, but show keen interest in the bloodworms