PDA

View Full Version : what to do with orange heads spawn

geo/discus breeder
Mon Sep 25, 2006, 01:08 PM
my pair of orange heads i got 3 months ago spawned today i rode them off and to be honest i haven't given them a water change in 2 weeks. the guy i bought them off said he striped the young off them because the wouln't let go he said if you don't strip them you get only 30 babies. so how would i strip them and insted of striping them could i just give them bbs with a turky baster would that work

i am pritty happy because the parants were wild caght and so they would be really hard to strip

thanks fo any help pic of the pair are on link below

taksan
Mon Sep 25, 2006, 01:13 PM
hmmmmmmmmm ...more feeders 8-)

*Chris*
Mon Sep 25, 2006, 11:00 PM
Dude i think you hve been had
i know the fella you got them from and they were not wild caught they were from justin at subscape to be exact !!!!!
but give me a call and i would be quite happy yo help you or explain how to strip them
EXAI

Ben
Tue Sep 26, 2006, 12:04 AM
If it was me i would not stripe them..

Let Mother nature takes it course.. plus its nice watching mum and dad look after their fries..

Cheers
Ben

geo/discus breeder
Tue Sep 26, 2006, 04:15 AM
i didn't get them from justine at subscape it was one of my geo friends. he imported them from a geo place in the amoson for $150 each he boght 6 small ones and got 3 pairs out of them so he sold 1 pair to me. you can tell they are wild because they are very scitish and really nice couler

ben the guy told me if you dont strip them you end up with half the babies this was his personal expriance with the pair, he said he striped them because he was to lazy to get food down to them so if i got bbs and gave them to them would it help

geo/discus breeder
Tue Sep 26, 2006, 09:05 AM
i am a bit worried the eggs are missing

but all the white (un furtile eggs) are there

do the parants pick up the eggs and brood them because my green horsefaces don't brood until the eggs hatch

ben what did your pair do

Ben
Tue Sep 26, 2006, 09:14 AM
Jono,
Orange heads are Bi-Parental meaning both male and female will look after the fry in their mouths.

After hatching either parent will pick up the fry and hold in their mouths. Approximately 6 days later they will start to let their babies out to have a feed.

Don’t strip them Jono, let nature take its course.

Ben

geo/discus breeder
Tue Sep 26, 2006, 10:51 AM
so my orange heads ate the eggs because there not there

is there a posability that the are looking after the eggs in there mouth

Ben
Tue Sep 26, 2006, 11:01 AM
not eggs Jono but perhaps newly hatched fry

geo/discus breeder
Tue Sep 26, 2006, 12:11 PM
dam they eat the eggs then i wonder why the guy i bought them off had fry to prove buy the way is it easy to sell 50 fry for $15 each

Ben
Tue Sep 26, 2006, 12:31 PM
Give them time Jono, they should spawn again in 2-3 weeks time. If possible a photo would be great!

cheers
Ben

mcloughlin2
Tue Sep 26, 2006, 11:11 PM
i didn't get them from justine at subscape it was one of my geo friends. he imported them from a geo place in the amoson for $150 each he boght 6 small ones and got 3 pairs out of them so he sold 1 pair to me. you can tell they are wild because they are very scitish and really nice couler

ben the guy told me if you dont strip them you end up with half the babies this was his personal expriance with the pair, he said he striped them because he was to lazy to get food down to them so if i got bbs and gave them to them would it help

You can't tell a wild fish from a tank breed one just by how skittish or colourful they are .. :)
My electric yellow's have a intense yellow colour .. they are not fed any colour enchancers at all... :shock:
They are also very skittish compare to ones i had 4 years ago ... :?
Now does that mean my yellows are wild caught? :P

In regards to the whole stripping thing, don't do it ...
It has been believe to create weaker offspring, less colourful males and make future bad mothers ... :wink:

HTH

mcloughlin2
Tue Sep 26, 2006, 11:13 PM
dam they eat the eggs then i wonder why the guy i bought them off had fry to prove buy the way is it easy to sell 50 fry for $15 each

Mate, don't count your dollars yet ... breed fish for the enjoyment not for the money ... And i also believe it would be difficult to as in the last few months te market has been flooded with orange heads ...

geo/discus breeder
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 01:39 AM
they are definate wild caught

i was just asking ben if he was able to easly sell a batch of arouind 100 because if my pair only have 30 babies then i will give them a couple more spawnes then strat striping them

thanks for all help next time i will post some pics

*Chris*
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 03:08 AM
who is this person who imported them???
i have not heard of any geos coming into the country for a long time
most of us usually have our ears to the ground so to speak when new things or importers start bringing things in
i would highly doubt that thye are wild caught as they are not an allowable import for starters
all orange heads become quiet bold in there behavor as they settle in especially when they have a spawn
no doubt mate they are nice fish but not wild caught
EXAI

geo/discus breeder
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 05:52 AM
as i said there were only six i think they were ilegaly imported

if you really want you can ring him up

everone has there own opinon

but even if there not wild caght they are fantstic coulers and if i had fry and i showed people the parants they would snap them up thank you all for your help

i will give them a couple more goes but if they keep eating the eggs can i seperate them and fed them rotifers what do you think ben

i think it is good to be wait and it pays of in the long run and

*Chris*
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 06:43 AM
please pm me the number of this importer i would be very interested in contacting him
EXAI

geo/discus breeder
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 08:13 AM
he is not an importer he impored 1 lot of orange heads and thats it he is getting sick of geos and going into discus

if you do a search for cybernige on boronia aquarium forum his number will be there but don't call him if you want fish because he dosn't have any for sale if you really wan't to proove me wrong then call him

*Chris*
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 08:38 AM
its not a case of proving you wrong mate its a case of showing you that you may have been tricked into buying fish for more than what they were worth or under false pretenses
and if he is importing then it would be good to know what he imports
please send me a pm of his details
EXAI

geo/discus breeder
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 09:52 AM
ken **********

*number removed:ADMIN*

*Chris*
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 10:24 AM
he is so full of crap i just rang him and he could not put a sentence together to save himself
he could not tell me he had proof
all he could tell me was they had come from sydney and the name of the person who got them . sorry to say mate that name ws the same person who got them for people in victoria and they were not wild caught
so if you paid anymore than 15- 20 dollars for a 5cm fish then you have been had
EXAI

geo/discus breeder
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 11:33 AM
i dont relly care i boght them as a breeding pair
they must be very close to wild caght f2 of f3

as i said before the orange heads are briliant and are worth what i paid for them i hope you didn't drill ken to much

mcloughlin2
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 11:46 AM
Look mate, it seems you have been had ... :(

I did'nt call the guy so i cant comment on that but i do trust EXAI and if he says they are not wildcaught they are most likely not!
:)
Now just because you may have been had, doesnt mean you then have to try to make up for it by assuming they are wildcaught based on colour ... even just presuming they are F2, F3 or F4 is BS! :D

That would be like me selling my Electric yellows offspring as F1's because my colony have great colour .... :wink:

Ben
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 12:55 PM
When my wife married me she said:

'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'

Jono if you are happy and your fish are happy and healthy then I am Happy!

*Chris*
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 01:20 PM
please mate dont think i am having ago at you
your fish are your fish and i dont doubt they are beautiful
but just be wary of peole claiming to have wild caught fish
unless they can substantiate there claims of the fish being wild caught then dont buy them unless you yourself want those particular fish
just dont sell your juvies as f1s because you are likely to be scoffed at
it is a shame that someone as keen as yourself especially at such a young age has been dooped into buying fish that obviously were not what you paid for
i look forward to seeing baby photos of your next spawn goodluck
EXAI

geo/discus breeder
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 02:29 PM
dam right ben

even thogh i'm yong it dosn't mean i'm dumb. i new there was a posability they wern't wild caght but i did my research and thoght they were but as i said i DON'T care. i am happy with them and any one wanting to buy babies as soon as they see the parants they will snap them up.

but thanks for awering me of the posability there not wild caght when it comes time to sell them i will stay on the safe side. by the way they didn't eat the babies i saw the males mouth full last night i didn't see it the other day. most of the orange heads around are f1,f2 or f3 because they are a very new to domestic fish keeping compaired to electric yellows

and no i havn't been "had"
ken didn't f#*$ me around

geo/discus breeder
Thu Sep 28, 2006, 12:48 PM
A*I fishboy i found out they were imported from south america to USA then they came here i belive the parants are f2

i would be very suprised if bens orange heads aren't f2, f3 or f4 unless some south american has been breeding them in secret for the last 15 years in a garage

all orange heads are very new to domestic fish keeping

but relly i don't care if my orange heads are f20

the only person that truly knows how long this blood line have been in the wild for is the guy the caught them out of a random river near brazil

*Chris*
Fri Sep 29, 2006, 12:58 AM
mate your the one that is continueingthsi arguement
your fish are not wild
like i said your fish may be nice may be F4 , or 20 who cares
for all you know mate they could have come from a toilet in brazil .
unless you yourself can trace the origin of these fish
dont say they are wild that was my point
this person you have got them off has obviously got every one beleiving that they are wild which goes to show your nievety and stubborness.
I am sure you will learn that argueing with everyone to save face is not the way to go
EXAI

geo/discus breeder
Fri Sep 29, 2006, 04:39 AM
mate i was as keen you to find out the origen of the fish
when i bought them i was told they were wild caught just like the guy i bought them of

but thank you for pointing out that they might not be wild caught as i said i will stay on the safe side next time

thanks