PDA

View Full Version : Desert goby as a discus tankmate?

DiscusEden
Mon Sep 25, 2006, 03:48 AM
Hi,
The lfs has some desert gobys (?sp) for sale & I was wondering I I could put them in a 6 foot tank with discus, tetras, rams, BN's, SAE & otto's?

TIA,
DiscusEden :D

FishLover
Mon Sep 25, 2006, 01:27 PM
Not sure they are good for your fish or not. Here is the basic information for it:

Desert goby

Scientific name(s): Chlamydogobius eremius

Max size: 6 cm

Temperament: Peaceful but predatory and somewhat nippy fish

Suggested for: Community tanks medium-sized community fish but avoid small and fancy-finned varieties (other small community fish), planted aquaria, indoor unheated aquaria (other small coldwater fish)

Water quality: pH neutral to alkaline, moderate hardness, well filtered, some salt beneficial.
Temperature: 10 to 30°C

Origin: Lake Eyre basin (other Australian Native fish)

Comments: Despite their small size, these fish are quite predatory, and males can be quite territorial, particularly towards one another. They will also nip at the fins of fancy-finned fishes. However, they are compatible in many community tanks as they will not bother larger fish when provided with adequate retreats. Where several specimens are kept together, ensure there are adequate hideaways so that males can establish separate territories. They need plenty of frozen foods in their diet.

*Chris*
Mon Sep 25, 2006, 10:56 PM
these fish require hard alkaline water to thrive they are no good for a soft water community
you put them in a ph lower than 7.6 and they will die
they are classifeied as a brackish fish at any importer as they do best with a bit of salt in the tank
no goby enjoys soft water so id probably go with your other choices
EXAI

mcloughlin2
Mon Sep 25, 2006, 11:13 PM
In short NO they will not do well with discus ... :)

DiscusEden
Tue Sep 26, 2006, 07:30 AM
OK, worth a try. Maybe in another tank and another lifetime. Thanks for the help and advice guys. Much better to find out now than after I've bought it! Thanks, you've been great!
DiscusEden

DiscusEden
Mon Oct 09, 2006, 02:26 PM
What about a bumblebee goby?

Link: http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_bumble.php

They're so cute! I want a goby - find me a goby please?

It says they're hardy?

Please?

DiscusEden