PDA

View Full Version : inka spawn

fishgeek
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 06:45 AM
second spawn from these little guy's they are still quite shy
have moved them to a 2 ft on my little system , next door to a lone panduro female so they have something to pretend to chase away

so far going ok
fingers crossed that they raise this lot

wickedglass
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 11:45 AM
that's a beautiful girl you got there!
whenever I have a pair of apistos that I'm not sure will raise their own spawn I give the wrigglers to my brave little A. viejita II . She's an old hand and is raising her 3rd surrogate brood now, she's already gotten a good start for a brood of aggie double reds, and is now guarding her second brood of borellii ;) I think I need to give her a break, soon, though! Good little mummy that she is ... she'd raise a brood of guppies, that one :P
grats and good luck on the inkas!

Robdog
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 03:13 PM
that's a beautiful girl you got there!

I'll second that. Awesome complete striping. Any photos of dad?

*Chris*
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 01:01 AM
has anyone in melbourne got these guys?????
EXAI

Th0mas
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 02:20 AM
I think Reillin has some, check with him.

I'll have some ready near the end of the year (F1 from wild caught) if interested.

Thomas.

Noddy65
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 02:33 AM
Dont forget me Thomas...January would be about right then..?

Mike

Th0mas
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 05:02 AM
Yeah Mike, will put some aside for you.

Thomas.

Merrilyn
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 05:34 AM
I'm interested too Thomas, can you put me down for some please.

Merrilyn
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 05:38 AM
Chris, I read where you used a surrogate mother for your latest brood.

Dump question I know, but can you simply remove the eggs or wrigglers from valuable pairs, and artificially raise them, if you were to start them on microscopic food, like infusoria ?

Noddy65
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 07:15 AM
Yep...yopu sure can...most can be raised on BBS right from the start.

Mike

fishgeek
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 07:18 AM
most apisto fry will do fine with larger food like microworm and bbs from the start

they do not need to be fed until the yolk sac is completely used , somewhere between 3-7 days depending on the species

in a mature tank with no other fish in infuso will often be naturally occuring

i tend to have plastic tubs outside with daphnia in and smaller daphnia baby, scuds and other small water borne live food is often used

saying that the parental activity is all part of the fun for me and i never artifically raise mine

Robdog
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 07:38 AM
Hey andrew, got any shots of dad?

Th0mas
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 07:46 AM
I also never had problem feeding them on BBS once they've reached free swimmer stage. Even the apistogrammoides fry have no prob with BBS (it's tiny compared with apisto fry).

The only problem with leaving fry with mum is when mum wants to start a second batch, she'll not tend the egg and eventually the fry will get to the new born leaving nothing behind :( . This has happened with baenschi and agassizi so far.

Thomas.

Ben
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 11:02 AM
Well done Andy!!

Great photography! keep us updated with photo's as they grow mate!

Cheers
Ben

fishgeek
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 12:04 PM
thomas i have a different problem when second spawn in same tank

usually i find the parents look after the egg's fine and the wrigglers and the free swimmers intialy
just lose some to older siblings predating them

andrew

no photo's of dad , he is a bit shy still

Th0mas
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 01:17 PM
Have found once they've reached a certain size, taking photos starts to get boring (as they look the same, just a bit bigger but no colour).

That's why I've stopped taking photo of them.

Thomas.