PDA

View Full Version : Questions ...

FishKeeper
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 03:12 AM
I've already posted on this forum and I now understand 4-5 discus could be kept in my 45 gallon tank,

I have decided to only keep 2-3 because I want them to be as healthy and happy as possible, and even 4 would seem overcrowded to me.

I have never had any luck keeping planted tanks, can anyone let me know what is important, ie. are halides needed or can fluorescents be used, also is CO2 injection important? I have always found plants decline over time or at best simply do not grow. I would like to have some in my tank?

any help appreciated, TIA :)

Robdog
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 04:38 AM
I am far from a planted tank expert but I'll fill you in on what I have picked up.

As long as you have a few fluro tubes with sufficient wattage and fairly undemanding plants then halides aren't really necessary. After lights I think your substrate is equally important. Good quality deep gravel or sand and then added ferts should see you on the right track. CO2 isn't compulsory but it will definitely help struggling plants. There are plenty of people here that have success with DIY CO2 setups that you should check out. Phlipper comes to mind

HTH

sammigold
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 04:43 AM
Hi, Just something to think about... Discus actually prefer groups of 4 or more.... if you decide to have 3 you may have issues with bullying further down the track....

In regard to plants... I have found that I can keep anubias alive and growing with just basic flourescent lighting.... I also have some java fern that died right back but now seems to be growing again... I add a little liquid ferts every couple of weeks but thats about it... hth

DIY
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 05:09 AM
IMO depends what you are after - if you just want a few plants to "liven up" the tank a few small plots in a barebottom tank is a nice look.

If you pick the plants you don't need strong lighting, co2 and depending on your water may not need ferts.

I have found Wisteria & stricta grow fine in a pot with low lighting - as an example see the attached picture showing the pot I had in a breeding tank growing with just one flouro tube, no co2 and no ferts.

Java fern is not as hardy even though it's often described as easy, even in my planted tank with bright lights, undergravel heating, laterite, ferts & co2 it doesn't grow near as well as other plants.

FishKeeper
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 11:40 PM
Hi, Just something to think about... Discus actually prefer groups of 4 or more.... if you decide to have 3 you may have issues with bullying further down the track....

I guess I'll get four then.

Nice tank, how difficult are discus to breed? I have a 30 gallon tank outside i'm not using at the moment, could this be used as a breeding tank if I were eventually able to do so?

also can anyone name the plant i'm thinking of, it looks like a tiny lilly pad without flowers, it floats and has roots that grow to the bottom of the aquarium??
I only ask as It grew suprisingly fast under only a 15 watt power-glo, I may see if I can get it again.

Merrilyn
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 05:22 AM
If it's very tiny, about the size of a bunch of match heads grouped together, with roots hanging down, it could be duckweed.

That grows very quickly, forms a bright green carpet on the surface, and a lot of fish like to nibble on it.

An excellent plant for keeping nitrates down, but it's one of those plants that you never seem to get rid of. It will grow from even just one leaf.

FishKeeper
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 03:19 PM
Definately wasn't duckweed, the leaves were around 1/2" in size, alough it looked similar. any other plants that will grow under low light?