PDA

View Full Version : How to breed angelfish ?

DR.V
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 02:24 PM
What do I need to do to get angelfish to spawn ?

Same with discus ? Soft water and low pH 6.5 ?

Is there anything else ?

Thanks

momo
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 02:48 PM
hi Dr.V,

to be honest i think angel fish are one of those very easy fish to spawn, i have a pair in a 4ft community tank, and currently they have been spawning every week on the dot.

i provide no special requirements at all, waterchange maybe once every 2 weeks or so, and just aged tapwater.

i think as long as you take care of them, condition them up abit and they should do their thing!

HTH

samir
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 02:50 PM
i've had them for only a month but it seems like they dont need much incentive to spawn. they seem to be spawning about once a week same as my discus but nearly thrice the amount of eggs. I'm having a hard time sexing them and figuring out pairs. after discus breeding them should be a walk in the park.

momo
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 02:54 PM
i've had them for only a month but it seems like they dont need much incentive to spawn. they seem to be spawning about once a week same as my discus but nearly thrice the amount of eggs. I'm having a hard time sexing them and figuring out pairs. after discus breeding them should be a walk in the park.

sexing is pretty much the same as discus, if you get to watch them spawn then its obvious. if not breesing tube of female is thicker and more blunt compared to male which is pointier and thinner/shorter.

also i've noticed my males developed abit of a hump. il get some pictures up when i get some time.

cheers,

samir
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 03:02 PM
they are my step fish, i only look at them twice a day when feeding. maybe i'll net them and flip them over n check. i do that with my discus and so far its very accurate.

DR.V
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

I guess the golden rule is : "Be patient"

Phlipper
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 01:24 PM
Angels are pretty easy to spawn and it seems most get their act together sooner or later, but a change of water and a feed of live food will spur it on.

the_oracle
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 03:39 AM
Can't agree more with you guys.......They're pretty easy to breed. I don't give them any special attention compared to Discus. They'll do their thing when it's due. Normally, I would transfer em to the breeding tank, and they'll spawn again in no time.
Some pics to share........................

Sanie

the_oracle
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 03:42 AM
Don't mean to hijack your thread........
Just a rough idea on how tey do their thing............

Sanie.

nicholas76
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 04:02 AM
Guys

with that in mind ( they bread easily ) :idea:

I have 12 angels in my 4x 2 x 2 ... its a community tank. Will they pair up and even spawn in these conditions. :?:

Dee
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 04:34 AM
I have 12 angels in my 4x 2 x 2 ... its a community tank. Will they pair up and even spawn in these conditions. :?:

Hiya Nick,

IMO the answer would be yes and yes. I had 6in a community tank in which 2 pairs formed and one pair laid eggs ... although they ate them pretty quickly.

The problem for me was they where EXTREMELY agressive towards each other. As I said I had six in a tank (smallish) and with all the agression, it wasn't exactly a peacefull tank to sit an watch. I ended up selling my angels for that very reason :cry:

HTH,

Cheers,

Dee :D

DR.V
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 09:15 AM
Why do you have to tempt me like that Sanie :shock: !

LOL I want my angel breeding like that too :lol:

Thanks for the pictures, I love them :D :D :D :D

the_oracle
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 07:34 PM
Heya Doc,
It's just a way to let you know they can spawn easily. No special care at all............
That was what happened to me............
They spawned a few times in the comm. tank. I transfered em to a breeding tank cos they looked so eager to raise a family.
And walla...............
They have a large family by the following week.
But you have to know what to do once all the eggs are hatched.

Dee,
Can't agree more with you.........They can be EXTREMELY agressive...........
They start behaving that way once they started to pair up. And by the time they decide to spawn, nobody will dare go near em. They can easily chase my 7" discus. And you will realise that the other occupants will be pushed to one corner of the tank while they conquer the other half.
But once they're done spawning, they tend to relax a lil bit. Guess they're too tired after spawning. That's when the others start to attack and eat up all the eggs. That's why I moved em to a breeding tank to give em all the privacy they need.

Sanie.

nicholas76
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 11:47 PM
excellent ,

now i can justify buying another tank

Phlipper
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 12:27 AM
I dont think Angels are any more aggressive than many other fish at spawning time, most species of cichlids get very nasty at that time, Discus are certainly no exception to the rule. My Discus are spawning regularly now under no special conditions, their needs seem to be much the same in my experience, but Angels have a lot more fry and dont need the parent fish to survive.

DR.V
Sun Oct 01, 2006, 11:49 AM
Was about to do water change today and clean the tank from algae but found this .... 8-) 8-)

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/252/img0216zp1.jpg

nicholas76
Sun Oct 01, 2006, 12:55 PM
LOL

awsum mate

it appears that when it comes to Angels ,,, all you need to do is add water to get them to breed!

the_oracle
Sun Oct 01, 2006, 07:27 PM
Hey Doc,
Congrats.................
Hope everything turn out GOOD..............
Keep the pics. comin...............

Sanie.

DR.V
Sat Oct 07, 2006, 09:05 AM
Some update with mum:

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7060/img0219sp4.jpg

Th0mas
Sat Oct 07, 2006, 09:10 AM
Well done!!

the_oracle
Sat Oct 07, 2006, 07:21 PM
Looking good, doc..............

Sanie.

Phlipper
Sat Oct 07, 2006, 11:50 PM
Yep, looking good for sure, they look even better in a couple of weeks when they start to take on the typical Angel shape, nice fish 8-)

dgraphic
Mon Oct 16, 2006, 11:05 AM
good work mate? WELL DONE............