PDA

View Full Version : Help! Power out tomorrow

ashley
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 08:39 AM
Hi Guys,

In a bit of strife, just found out we have power out here tomorrow and want to know how Im to deal with heating and filter. Is it possible to keep the bacteria in the filters alive without flowing water.

Can I keep the media wet and submerged to keep it alive?

And if I wrap the tank in a thick layer of blankets or foil will it hold its temp for around 8-10 hours.

Ashley

Mulisha
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 08:43 AM
Well for the bacteria maybe buy a cheap battery air pump from a fish tackle store and for heat umm just do what you said put a blanket over the tank becuase heat will rise also make sure your glass covers are on that helps..

Good luck battery air pump will be like $15 and is always handy for summer time when blackouts are more common..

HTH

*Chris*
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 08:44 AM
the temp on a tank takes a fair while to go down
the best bet is to scoot out and grab a battery operated airpump sgould only cost around twenty bucks
as long as there is air the tank should be right

dachoo
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 10:57 AM
I would like to add one more thing is try to siphon out as many debris as possible a few hour before the power out & stop feeding now.
Also monitor water condition & fish behaviour for the next few days.

DA

ashley
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 06:55 PM
Thanks for your tips Guys will see how I go and let you know.
Cheers, Ashley

mistakes r crucial
Thu Sep 28, 2006, 12:17 PM
Hi Ashley,

How did the power outages go? Hope all your fish got through the ordeal unscathed.
Cheers
MAC

ashley
Thu Sep 28, 2006, 07:53 PM
Hi Guys,
Sorry I hadnt posted a reply, have been flat out a t work.
The weather was bad the day that they were to do work on the lines so it was called off.

I had my wife on stand by to pour water from my tank over the trickle filter media every hour to keep everything wet and bacteria alive.Do you recon she was over joyed by that request?

I had the tank covered with blankets and towels to try to retain heat.

I kept everything running just in case it was called off so it worked out ok.

If it had gone off I was going to turn off the cannister and re set it up with new media.

Anyway everything worked out ok

Ashley

Mr T
Sun Oct 15, 2006, 02:39 AM
Hi
Can anyone advise on power generator for running tanks in blackouts.
Have seen subject on ups but not sutiable for 8 tanks all with own filter

Alan

mistakes r crucial
Sun Oct 15, 2006, 03:36 AM
Hi Mr T,

We run a Dynalink 5.5KW petrol generator and it works real well.
MAC