PDA

View Full Version : Recycleing filter media

kalebjarrod
Sun Aug 29, 2004, 02:30 AM
Can we reuse our particle filter media?

How many times can we reuse?

Merrilyn
Sun Aug 29, 2004, 05:32 AM
Yes you can. I have done this for years without any side effects. Sponges can be washed under warm running water and replaced. After several washings the gunk becomes harder and harder to remove - then its time to replace. Poly filter media is not as tough as sponges but can also be washed 3-4 times before replacing. Naturally you dont want to disturb your bio-media too much, so I just clean part of the filter each time.

kalebjarrod
Sun Aug 29, 2004, 05:54 AM
i've been doing it too

thought it would be interested to see if anyone has had any problems with this thats all

Proteus
Sun Aug 29, 2004, 06:12 AM
Sponges can be washed under warm running water and replaced.

UG!!!

clean it in some old tank water when doing water change... that way you lose minimal if any good guys...

each to there own I guess...

kalebjarrod
Sun Aug 29, 2004, 08:05 AM
what about filter wool?

do people clean this?

Proteus
Sun Aug 29, 2004, 08:10 AM
it can be rinsed in tank water and used again, but usually that is about it, plus with its cheap price, it is just as easy to get new stuff (leave some old material for the good bio bugs helps)

D.J
Sun Aug 29, 2004, 08:30 AM
I have An Aqua one cf700 canister filter which I used for bio filter.
It has 3 baskets which I filled with Eheim substrate and a filter wool right at the top, I rinse one of the basket alternately every 4 weeks, which I changed the filter wool as well.
I allready had the substrate for more than a year now, and it's still doing great.
I am curious though of how long they last? has anyone have their substrate more than a couple of years?