Tue Sep 19, 2006, 11:50 PM
nice one Thomas! I love those

k0b0i
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 02:30 AM
:shock:

waaaaa, GL with em :wink: hope they are a pair too hehe

Namn8r
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 10:08 AM
I think you might have two males by the looks of things.

Cant read this site but it shows clearly 2 males and 1 female

http://www.israquarium.co.il/Fish/Apistogramma/Apistogramma%20elizabethae.html

Robdog
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 11:19 AM
Where did you score these guys from Thomas? I've seen some nice ones lately and if these are the same batch, they should turn out pretty nice.

awth
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 12:34 PM
2nd pic on the left is definitely a male and the one on the right seems like a male as well!

Th0mas
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 01:40 PM
The one on the right does look like a male, good colour and size. The reason I gamble on it are:

The black chest
The dorsal extension is not visible for the size
More chuncky body and fatter

So hopefully I might have a nice female, if not - then there might be something left at the place I bought them (the price isn't going to move them quickly).

It was difficult to pick, as soon as I stick the net in - they scramble. All the colour went and very difficult to pick out the pair I had my eye on before the net goes in.

Anyway, will know soon. Worst case -> get two more females. :twisted:

Thomas.

Noddy65
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 02:10 PM
Im coming over east in January...might have to do a few days travelling around trying to find some nice fish...these guys NEVER make it to Perth..

Mike

catfishbone
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 11:58 PM
hey Mike ....

we weren't able to meet up when I was last back to perth ... but hopefully we can catch up this time when you come over to east ... :D

andrie

Robdog
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 03:09 AM
These guys were rated by PFK mag as in the top 3 highest valued apisto's. Time for some updated pics Thomas

Th0mas
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 03:47 AM
That's probably the reason why it took so long for some decent ones to appear in the country.

They've settled nicely, still not 100% certain if the second is a female (as no egg, but it's fat and being chased around by the definite male). Been busy over the last couple of days, perhaps an update on the weekend.

Thomas.

Robdog
Wed Sep 27, 2006, 03:57 AM
perhaps an update on the weekend.

:shock: It's Wednesday! What do you expect me to do until the weekend??? :lol: :lol:

Th0mas
Fri Sep 29, 2006, 11:23 AM
perhaps an update on the weekend.

:shock: It's Wednesday! What do you expect me to do until the weekend??? :lol: :lol:

Don't have to wait anymore ----- no picture updates for the moment until Tuesday.

The reason -> that fish on the right is a confirmed female and have emptied the whole content of her belly inside the pot this afternoon (EGGS - I have visual contact with one). :blob2

In the mean time, the male is being chased off like no tomorrow (he's done something naughty - kind of deserved it for a while). Might have to put him in isolation if situation doesn't stablise.

Only time will tell whether there will be any fry. In the mean time, I'm happy that it is a pair (and a very nicely coloured female). Many thanks to all that worried about it's being a male.

Thomas.

Robdog
Fri Sep 29, 2006, 11:43 AM
Good stuff mate. Tempted, very tempted!

Noddy65
Fri Sep 29, 2006, 12:00 PM
Well done Thomas...you are doing something very right..

Mike

Th0mas
Mon Oct 02, 2006, 12:34 AM
Well done Thomas...you are doing something very right..

Mike

Thanks Mike.

A quick update - one has hatched (a premie), and I've noticed a large batch still stuck on top of the cave (shinning a bright LED torch to the glass bottom and watch the reflection - it's a bare tank). So far the male has taken a fair amount of pounding and has taken refuge behind the heater most of the time, but he seems alright and no major damage visible.

It looks like most of the hatching may commence this afternoon/evening.....

Thomas.

PS: In the mean time, the macmasteri female has started to go around with her new school of fry..... again (can't remember how many time she's tried already - she just couldn't raise them over the last few months).

wickedglass
Mon Oct 02, 2006, 12:24 PM
nice one, Thomas, and good luck with your macs too!

Th0mas
Mon Oct 02, 2006, 02:44 PM
Thanks Chris.

As predicted today, all have hatched without any problem. Both mum and kids are doing well (even after a few flashes).

This is the best I can do with my digital camera.

Thomas.

k0b0i
Tue Oct 03, 2006, 12:05 AM
Man.. You certainly are doing something right!

Congratulations Th0m!

awth
Tue Oct 03, 2006, 02:41 AM
Congratulations!!!

However, they have fragile stomach! Don't feed too much but more frequent meal with little quantity!

Th0mas
Tue Oct 03, 2006, 02:52 AM
Congratulations!!!

However, they have fragile stomach! Don't feed too much but more frequent meal with little quantity!

Thanks for the hint.

This may become difficult as there's no one home most of the day and feeding is done during the evening. Perhaps live BBS might not be so bad to handle this as some may stay alive a bit longer.

Robdog
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 04:44 AM
Hey Thomas does your female have the black leading edge on her ventral fins??
If so, how does the male's ventral fins compare?

Th0mas
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 07:23 AM
The female does have that black leading edge on her ventral fins, but the male can sometime have such as well. It really boil down to a combination of several things.

Thomas.

Th0mas
Sun Oct 08, 2006, 02:32 PM
Their first day out - and I also worked out dad is snacking on the fry :shock:

So now he's in isolation, while mum is left to care for them. Cannot estimate the number, what's in the picture is about half of them (the other half is behind the pot).

The image quality isn't great, please forgive me for this.

Thomas.

awth
Sun Oct 08, 2006, 04:06 PM
the first day out... is always amazing!!! Keep it up!!

Th0mas
Tue Oct 10, 2006, 03:59 PM
8 days old now....

Merrilyn
Sun Oct 15, 2006, 04:13 AM
That's wonderful. Congratulations.

Th0mas
Tue Oct 17, 2006, 10:29 PM
Just an update - 14 days old (taken yesterday). So far so good.

parkap
Wed Oct 18, 2006, 03:54 AM
Well done mate. Keep em coming.

fishgeek
Wed Oct 18, 2006, 07:19 AM
Thomas what are your water parameters that the eliza are breeding in

and robdog what were the other 2 fish listed by pfk in the top 3 ?

andrew

Robdog
Wed Oct 18, 2006, 07:43 AM
I think it was a battle between A. wilhelmi and A. diplotaenia for the top spot with the A. elizabethae in 3rd.

And technically we should have all three of these either in Sydney or at least Australia as they have all been imported in the last 6months.

Thomas and I have elizabethae so it's time for the other 2 to come forward. It's rumoured that a guy named Gary has the diplo's

Th0mas
Wed Oct 18, 2006, 08:59 AM
Andrew,

Ph went down to around 5.0 - 5.5 to induce spawn. Now after 10 days, water change moved the pH up to 6 with out any ill effect (so far), but pH will drift down back to 5 in due time.

Temperature around 26, feeding primary frozen bloodworm, Sera discus granule and BBS (live).

Thomas.

Th0mas
Thu Nov 02, 2006, 12:15 PM
Addition photos - taken by parkap on 21/10 (with a much better camera than I've got).

Robdog
Wed Nov 08, 2006, 02:23 AM
Just thought I'd add some pics of my little guys for some comparison. They are from a different line than Thomas' ones here and in full display they were really beautiful. Not so good looking now tho :roll: :cry:

Robdog
Wed Nov 08, 2006, 02:26 AM
Just thought I'd add some pics of my little guys for some comparison. They are from a different line than Thomas' ones here and in full display they were really beautiful. Not so good looking now tho :roll: :cry:

Robdog
Wed Nov 08, 2006, 02:32 AM

Robdog
Wed Nov 08, 2006, 02:47 AM
Well I don't know how I posted that 3 times in the space of 9 minutes. Good way to up my post count tho

parkap
Wed Nov 08, 2006, 07:25 AM
Does anyone have any shots of their eliza's in full display?

Th0mas
Tue Nov 21, 2006, 02:35 PM
Latest update - at 49 days old. Starting to take shape of adult at around 1cm.

Camera work is a bit poor though....

Thomas.

Robdog
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 12:21 AM
They seem to be a lot faster growers than the baenschi.
If they are true to their parents form then they will probably be difficult to sex for some time. Unless a few dominant males try and poke through the crowd.
Nice pics mate

parkap
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 02:50 AM
Agree, some nice pics in their Thomas.

k0b0i
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 03:09 AM
maybe you should get the same camera as Ben...

:lol:

Th0mas
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 03:50 AM
Might not be the camera, but the person who uses it.

TW
Mon Dec 04, 2006, 12:47 PM
They are quite big for 49 days, when I compare them with my approx 42 day old kribs.

Very nice Thomas.

Th0mas
Mon Dec 04, 2006, 12:58 PM
I'm surprise how well they've been growing - 20 juveniles from a first batch isn't too bad (could be more if I caught the male out earlier).

Thomas.

Th0mas
Mon Jun 11, 2007, 03:15 PM
After loosing the breeding female at the beginning of this year and the male yesterday, I'm now left with less than 10 juveniles plus one other female that's not from the batch.

Photos are not clear, but shows they're close to maturity.

Once again, my camera works isn't doing any justice to them..... :?

Th0mas
Thu Jul 12, 2007, 11:08 AM
Recent update....

Not much different, just a bit longer on the fins.

Namn8r
Sat Jul 14, 2007, 04:07 AM
Is that the new male you recently aqcuired thomas?

Th0mas
Sat Jul 14, 2007, 07:46 AM
Yes, there is a pair I got. Much smaller, approx. 1.5cm shorter that the above. Probably at least 3-4 months of growth to reach the size above.

Th0mas
Mon Jul 16, 2007, 02:06 AM
Here's what the new ones looks like.....

Yeah - "Super Red". Will just have to wait and see....

Th0mas
Mon Jul 16, 2007, 02:10 AM
And latest of the ones I have for a while.... better pictures as I spent over an hour waiting for them to come out....

Unfortunately their number is slowly dwindling, one species that's very difficult to maintain.

Th0mas
Mon Jul 16, 2007, 02:13 AM
Now the best male I've got..... unfortunately I wasn't able to catch him on display.