PDA

View Full Version : how to catch yoyo loaches???

anti-generic
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 09:16 AM
What's the easiest way to catch these guys. I've tried making a trap with a 2ltr coke bottle cut up and replaced the top half inverted. But the loaches seem too clever to go in. and i managed to catch everything but those loaches.

Is there a easier way??

catching them with a net is impossible. They live in a planted tank with alot of drift wood.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Eric

DR.V
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 09:47 AM
A PVC pipe with one end capped.

Put a algae wafer inside the pipe, once they're in lift the pipe up.

anti-generic
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 09:58 AM
wouldnt they swim out just as easy??

DR.V
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 10:49 AM
I had my PVC at about 30cm and small in diameter.

Once the loach went in, I just take out the pipe and its still in there.

anti-generic
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 11:18 AM
what was the diameter????

DR.V
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 11:22 AM
1inch ... so 2.5cm....

It would be hard for them to swim backwards, and it would be too small for them to turn around and swim forward.

But it depends on the size of your loach.

Why are you getting rid of them ?? They're awsome man! I got 2 in my tank and they're getting FAT ! lol

anti-generic
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 11:46 AM
ok i get your idea. thanks

i'm getting them out of the planted tank coz they're ripping up my hair grass. plus i think they are too roudy. i much prefer the smaller chain loaches.

DR.V
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 11:51 AM
Or ottocinclus for algae eaters ^^

Good luck.

DiscusMad
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 01:59 PM
with a yoyo???

Palpatine
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 02:51 AM
I use one of those net breeders you can get fairly cheaply, hold it down in the water with a block of bloodworm in it and the first things inside are the loaches. :P

anti-generic
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 04:47 AM
why are mine so smart? I was observing them and they liked the smell of the shrimp pellets but are just unwilling to go into the trap.
I even managed to get a small discus in there!!!

Dr.V i totally agree with you about ottos. they are so much better the BNs and dont look as ugly. they are nice and peaceful and dont fight amongst each other.

enigmatic
Fri Oct 13, 2006, 11:56 AM
These are the worst fish for getting out of a tank IMHO.

I moved house recently and these were the only fish I couldn't get out. In the end, I had to move the tank with them still in the bottom. Very little water in there but they survived for 2.5 hours - just seemed to drill themselves into the substrate.

Sorry - I can't offer any tips but would agree they are the first to chase food (and the first to run from a net).

Chris

gro
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 03:30 AM
i spent way too long trying to catch mine and stressed a discus out -he didn't come good.

one swam into a terracota pot and i threw the net over and scooped him out!

the other wasn't as dumb

- my next theory which i posted in catfish section - is to get a plastic mesh and section of a bit of the tank

round him up into there - close off the section and try your best

i am hoping at least that way i can struggle for hours without stressing the others!

ILLUSN
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 06:03 AM
Maybe mine were just dumb. mine had(Have) a bad habbit of trying to wedge themselves between stuff. their favorite is between the intack of my aquis 2400 and the glass, the next is in'under some of my drift wood. I just scooped them up with a net

gro
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 06:07 AM
next time you are in melb - come round!!

the other day i was wishing that someone had invented a really tiny spear gun!!!

enigmatic
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 07:12 AM
I haven't taken my loach out yet but will be taking back to a LFS very soon.

I have found out why they are very hard to catch in my tank after cutting back or pulling out a lot of the plants.

The loaches seem to be very happy burrowing under the glosso that I have and in some instances, have also burrowed into the substrate.

I am really tired of these fish as they are so disruptive in such a quiet tank and they have stirred up so much stuff and dislodged new plants it is hard to replant a tank with them in.

Discus Dan
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 06:16 AM
I have to YoYo loaches but they seem to be leaving my other fish alone.

Tried catching them once but it turned out to be futile.

Only thing is they keep flicking and I'm worried they have some sort of parasite.

The Clown loaches are fine though.

ILLUSN
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 06:20 AM
My yoyos also like to flick, i'm convinced they do this to move bigger rocks so they can burrow into the substrate, as mine only do it in 2 spots near my big piece of drift wood.

FishLover
Wed Mar 07, 2007, 02:24 PM
My yoyos picked the eyes out of my cories and were nipping on my discus. Had to take them out.

Lower the water level helped me to catch them.

Discus Dan
Tue Mar 27, 2007, 03:55 AM
I tried the pvc pipe but only managed to catch my clown loaches, they squeezed into the tube but the yoyos didn't even come close to going in, way too smart!

gro
Tue Mar 27, 2007, 04:04 AM
i used flexible bonsai mesh and cordened off some of the tank once i had him to one side...ushered the discus out....closed off the mesh...and well i be... had him in five minutes!!

Had a mate to help with a big net .. i was on mesh duty!

Couldn't believe it as last time i spent hours and couldn't get him!

by the way the tank is a lot more peaceful now!!

Discus Dan
Tue Mar 27, 2007, 04:11 AM
What is Bonsai mesh?

gro
Tue Mar 27, 2007, 04:49 AM
is a felxible mesh 2mm thick that you cut up and use to cover holes in the pot to stop dirt falling out the bottom when potting up bonsai's

i found that if you drop the water level its the perfect dimension of a 4foot fish tank.

Rather than it being a firm sheet it allows you to fold back one side to let fish in or out and divide them to avoid creating too much caos.

http://thegardenersfriend.net/page5.html

you can get it on line at the above address otherwise most bonsai places.

The link also will give you distributors that may be near you

i am sure there is other forms of similar stuff- not particularly bonsai related

gro
Tue Mar 27, 2007, 04:50 AM
on the above link the 5 sheets are quite small

but their dimension vary - i was lucky to find a sheet the right size without wiring them together