PDA

View Full Version : Some new Apistos available in Melbourne

Reillin
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 11:38 AM
Hey guys,

Just a heads up about a few species sneaking in.

A. atahualpa
A. galaxis I (not sure about the name for this one)
A. papagayo

Well, I'll have to confirm some of the IDs when I get to inspect the fish, but I think galaxis and papagayo is one and the same fish.

This means I better set up my spare tanks for new arrivals :)
Looks like no inkas, but I guess I'm going the atahualpa and papagei this time around.

From the pictures I've seen in Datz, the papagei is about one of the most beautiful. Now I'll have to wait to see if the fish is the right one and whether its as good looking.

Cheers,
Vien.

Noddy65
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 12:51 PM
Check out this link

http://forum.apistogramma.com/showthread.php?p=29772#post29772

Im already asking around as at least two fish on the list are actually the same fish..but it would be nice to get some new apistos in to Aus (even if none of them make it this far west)

Mike

Th0mas
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 01:06 PM
There's a pair of A. papagayo around in one of Sydney LFS, but weren't top notch quality though (far from what's shown in the DATZ book in term of colour).

Thomas.

Ben
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 01:12 PM
Vien keep us posted mate!
I am keen on some more apisto types!

Cheers
Ben

Noddy65
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 01:17 PM
Some pics

http://www.rva.ne.jp/apisto/ap_atahualpa.htm
http://www.rva.ne.jp/apisto/ap_atahualpa2.htm

Robdog
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 01:23 PM
I assume the A. Papagayo is similar or the same as A. papagei and again these are the same as A. Algodon

Robdog
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 01:27 PM
There seems to be a bit of a difference in the quality of Atahualpa photos

Merrilyn
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 05:20 AM
Ohhhh more fish to drool over.

This darn appisto addiction has caught me.

I've got 31 already, and another 6 pairs on the way.

Time for lots more tanks I think.

Gonna need lots of help from you guys. I know very little about these fish, except that they are darn cute, and they have attitude - big time !

Noddy65
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 06:04 AM
Ladyred...what Apisto's do you have already?

Mike

Robdog
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 09:25 AM

Gonna need lots of help from you guys. I know very little about these fish, except that they are darn cute, and they have attitude - big time !

Yep, Mez, I'd say that classifies you as addicted! You've got more than me and that's including fry! Unfair. You've got some work to do to equal Thomas tho

Th0mas
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 01:04 AM

Yep, Mez, I'd say that classifies you as addicted! You've got more than me and that's including fry! Unfair. You've got some work to do to equal Thomas tho

Rob,

Let's not start a competition here. More doesn't mean much.

Mez,

Welcome to the addition, unfortunately the only cure is to get more tanks and species :twisted: .

Thomas.

Merrilyn
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 05:02 AM
This is a whole new world for me, but boy these fish are fast becoming favourites.

Curently I have:-

A. agassizii double red 3 pairs German bred
A. cacatuoides triple reds 20 juveniles Locally bred.
A trifasciata 6 pairs German bred
Dicrossus maculatus 1 pair

Love to get more. There are so many gorgeous varieties, but I'm running out of tank space

Ben
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 12:32 PM
Holy smokes Merrilyn!!!

can i put me hand up for first dibs when you breed the D. maculatus!!?

Cheers
Ben

Robdog
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 12:58 PM
.......when you breed the D. maculatus!!?

Cheers
Ben

I was about to post a reply along the lines of "yeah good luck getting the D. Macs and Filamentosus to breed" (no offence Mez) because I've heard these guys are really tricky to breed. Especially in Sydney water.

THEN.... I turn around and look in my D. Fila tank and see about 20+ eggs on an anubias leaf!

Merrilyn
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 02:10 PM
Hey Rob, that's wonderful.

They are such pretty fish. Bet they look gorgeous in breeding colours.

C'mon Rob, where's the pics :P

Merrilyn
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 02:12 PM
Hey Ben, sure you can hun. You're on the top of the list.

BTW my new pair of wild caught Betta macrostoma
spawned today, just 2 weeks after I put them in the tank. I'm stoked.

Noddy65
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 02:15 PM
Ok...Im officially jealous...where do you guys these amazing fish from...??????

Mike

Robdog
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 02:33 PM
Hot off the press!

Merrilyn
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 02:40 PM
Stunning photos Rob.

How big is that tank?

fishgeek
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 02:45 PM
well done, dad looks nicely coloured even if a little scared

fingers crssed for some attractive young
andrew

Robdog
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 02:51 PM
It's an Aquaone AR-126 which is 38W x 25D x 36.5H cm and they reckon around 22l.
Nice small tank and apparently does the job nicely. I was about to move them to another 126 that has ADA powder substrate but no need now.

Th0mas
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 09:52 PM
Great shot Rob, and congratulation.

I've tried to breed the filamentosa in the past and never get anything to hatch. Was told they need really soft water to have their egg fertilised properly. Not sure if that's true.

Keep us posted on their progress, great work.

Thomas.

Robdog
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 01:32 AM
Well they are still there this morning and she is watching over them from a distance. They are still a little too white for my liking. I was expecting them to have a little more colour I guess.
Might do a little water change and see what happens

Robdog
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 03:07 PM
Well there's not many left now. Only about 10-15 in total and about 5 of those look bright white so I'd say they were in fertile or starting to fungus. Ph was 6.68 this arvo and not sure on hardness so that might be the problem. They are swimming in rainwater filtered with peat but I think the sand is buffering the water back up gradually.
I'm not too bummed about it. I'm actually stoked that a bit of hard work has paid off with a spawning even if no fry resulted.

pencil
Thu Sep 28, 2006, 01:28 PM
Guys

where can I get those new apisto's ? any help will be appriciated.

P

Reillin
Sun Oct 01, 2006, 03:39 PM
Well I popped into the LFS to see how the fish went and spent two hours there looking over the new arrivials.

The A. atahualpa "sunset" were absolutely fantastic, their colours were amazing and they looked really healthy.

Second fish that impressed me were the A. papagei/papagyo. There was one male in there that was so blue, fantastic colours.

The other two types were suppose to be shushupe and galaxis. But I cannot positively ID them at this stage.

Of course, I actually came into the store while another hobbyist was there. The secretary of the Victorian Cichlid Society (VCS) was there and of course, he picked up the best looking papagei males. He seemed happy with his loot. I'm hoping to get some, but need to prepare some tanks for them.

I may go back and pick up some papagei before they disappear and those atahualpas and also the more yellow of the two bitaeniatas (which I suspect is the A. bitaeniata "Yellow/Shushupe"? If I get these fish, I shall put up fotos for ID.

Cheers,
Vien.

If you like details, I can send them via PM.

wickedglass
Mon Oct 02, 2006, 12:14 PM
Just got back from Finland Aquarium and putting my new pair (I hope ... I picked them out myself so I can't complain if they're not, bah) of A. papagei into their new tank. they are going to be very pretty fish, at this stage the colour isn't too splendiferous, as they're somewhat sub-adult still. they were nice and healthy fish and looking around for food within a couple of minutes of being put into the tank.
Ravi showed me the bitaeniata and the atahualpa as well. If someone else (Mister VCS secretary!!!!) hadn't bought the only females in that batch I would have taken a pair of them as well, they're going to be awesome fish. There was one which looked a little like a female, but not 100% sure. Anyway, Ravi put them in the shop display tank ... I'm curious how they'll turn out.

There's another shipment of various Apistos coming in about 2 months time, for the Aggie lovers there's the popular double red strain and a blue strain as well as various wild caught species. Finland Aquarium is definitely going to be a force to be reconed with for Apistogramma afficionados in Melbourne!

Robdog
Mon Oct 02, 2006, 01:59 PM
Cough up some pics Chris

wickedglass
Wed Oct 04, 2006, 11:19 AM
here's some pics of the A. papagei I got on monday. They were taken with my mobile, so the quality isn't crash hot, I'll try to remember to take the good camera in soon. Anyway, here's my Apistogramma papaguy and Apistgramma papagurl

oskastolz
Wed Oct 04, 2006, 11:08 PM
Nice one mate

I dropped past Finland yesterday (on a site visit!!!), don't tell the boss.

Obviously you have to be quick in the great crusade that is tracking down Apisto's - they said they had some left but they had moved them out the back to condition them up as there was a problem with water quality...........damn it, missed out again - maybe on Saturday they will bring them back out she thought

I will keep trying!

On another level - my A. cacatuoides has some fry - not free swimming yet - she has done this once before but couldn't protect from my loaches, I am going to attempt to siphon the free swimmers into a fry net in a few days and keep in the same tank as the water chemistry in my angel baby tank is a bit different - any thoughts on the likely success or otherwise of this maneuvre???

wickedglass
Wed Oct 04, 2006, 11:29 PM
ah man, I just moved my viejita to another tank. she was fostering her 4th consecutive brood of borellii fry, but the fry were big enough to move out. I would have said bring your caca babies around for her to raise, but now I got the papagei in there. you shouldn't have too many problems raising freeswimming caca fry away from the mum, but it's not ideal. they should be big enough to take newly hatched baby brineshrimp after the first week or so, in the meantime, put in pulverised flake and some syphonings from the bottom of your tank. the accumulated organic matter from the tank bottom will harbour microscopic organisms (just try not to syphon fish poo) .... if you have some java moss in the tank, put a little of that into the fry trap, there's organisms in there, too ... which the fry can feed on if they don't take to the powdered food.
another possibility would be to cordon off part of your tank from the loaches. I use sump grid covered with fly-screen. that way the mum can raise them for the critical first 3 week herself.

congratulations on the caca spawn, talk to you soon

Robdog
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 02:23 AM
Welcome to the forum oskastolz.

Any updated ( better :) ) pictures Chris???