PDA

View Full Version : Tankmates for 6 foot tank

DiscusEden
Sun Sep 17, 2006, 12:51 PM
Hi,
I'm wanting to check before I start buying that what I'm planning is suitable for a 6 foot (540L) tank.

I'm thinking of:
8 discus - may be bought as smaller fish, but I'd like this number in there as adults
20-30 cardinals
4-6 bolivian rams
4-6 blue rams (10 rams total, 5 pairs)
6 - 10 emperor tetras (3 - 5 pairs)

1-2 whiptail catfish
1-2 true SAE
up to 5 bristle nose catfish

I really like some of the L(numbers), but I don't think I can justify it in the budget at the moment, and I don't know if I'm already way overstocked. If not, could I maybe add some later?

The most important to me is the discus, but the LFS tells me I should only have 4 or 5 in that tank. Is that true? The numbers/types of everything else is negotiable.

I'd really appreciate some input, as I'd love to give them a happy home.

Thanks in advance,
DiscusEden :)

DR.V
Sun Sep 17, 2006, 02:53 PM
The rule is 40L per adult discus.

I think you got enough room for 8 discus.

DiscusEden
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 01:35 AM
And the numbers of the other fish? Are they OK if I put in the higher number for each? Should I be looking at more (different) catfish for the cleanup crew?

Thanks again Dr V, you are being fantastic!

DiscusEden

DR.V
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 01:55 AM
I believed that you wanted to have this tank planted right ? If so I can suggest ottocinclus (spelling) as your algae eater. This fish wont damage your plants.

I think you should put 20 cardinals max instead of 30.

DiscusEden
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 02:41 AM
Is that instead of the SAE or the BN? I thought there was a problem with the ottos - harassing or sucking on the discus or being too fast or something?

Are the numbers of rams and emperors OK?

Thanks again!

DR.V
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 02:51 AM
In addition to 20 cardinals you can add the SAE and BN.

Hmm I kept discus and otto together in the past and they're doing fine. But everybody have different experience.

I guess the rams and emperor are okay. Although you should try to introduce them one by one. So if you think you got too many fish in the tank, you can stop buying more fish instead of buying all in the same day.

DiscusEden
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 03:12 AM
Good idea.

I was going to put all the tankmates in, check for diseases for a couple of weeks, then add discus - I'll be getting a hospital/quarantine tank later, but I want to get one set up first. Is this the order to introduce these fish in?

So, I could have ottos as well as the SAE and bristlenose?

Will they be OK on algae wafers if I've got a UV keeping the algae out?

Thanks!

DR.V
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 03:24 AM
Well the process is that you should quarantine ANY new fish before putting into your main tank. It depends on where you're getting your fish from. A trusted source or not ?

Yeah you can put ottos together with SAE and BN, but wont that be too much of algae eaters ? lol

Sure! They will love algae wafers.

Good luck !!