chrissyoscar
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 10:54 PM
I just got my electricty bill and almost cried it was so high :shock:
I'm running
48x18x18 planted display tank in the house
48x14x18 grow out tank in the garage
36x14x18 breeding tank in the garage
30x14x18 breeding tank in the garage
48x24x24 grow out tank coming soon and it will also be in the garage.

Because of the high electricity bills I'm going to to stop using my 48x14x18 grow out tank especially since I'm soon getting a 48x24x24.

The tanks in the garage are the problem as it gets very cold out there. I'm thinking about getting some foam and covering the sides and back. I'm not sure if that'll make much difference but I've got to try something to help reduce the electricty costs.

Oscar

weird
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 11:01 PM
That's it I am moving to South East Asian or South America.

Proteus
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 11:02 PM
having central filtration helps, also with Summer approaching it will go down.

You could always looks at having a gas/oil heater in your garage, one of those is usually a lot cheaper to run than 5-6 aquarium heaters.

just a thought...

chrissyoscar
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 11:15 PM
Yeah I thought about getting a gas heater but I'm only planning to be in this house for another 2-3 years so It wouldn't make economical sence because of that.
When I get my new house I'll have to make sure I have a place to have the fish :D .
Until then those bl**dy fish better start pulling there weight and give me some fry so I can sell. The wife won't have a leg to stand on about the high costs if I'm making a little bit of cash from the fry. Well that's the plan anyway. :roll:

Oscar

kalebjarrod
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 12:21 AM
even here i QLD i have a huge bill just with one tank

(mind you it runs 4 X 300watt heaters and a spare 5th for the cold nights)

i just said to the wife " wouldn't it be easiy if we pay the bill on the credit card automaticly"

then hide the bill, hide the card and pay it off quick.

foam will work
also make sure you cover the top of the tank with glass with little to no gaps (during the night)
also use a bar-radiator-oil heater the ones with a timer on it so it can turn on during the cold hours of the night and off in the morn.
or cover all the tanks with space blankets at night to keep in the heat.

Escher
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 12:37 AM
I have insulated my sump with foam when temp wasn't raising in my new 7x2x2. But things improved even further when I closed the sides of the stand and turned it into a cabinet

chrissyoscar
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 02:19 AM
Yeah I'll try insulating the sides and back with foam and for next winter I'll even try the blanket as well. If I can reduce the bill by even 10-20% the wife will get of my back.
I've got to convert her to wanting to keep discus. She becomes very excited everytime the Turks lay eggs so once they get it right and we have fry she'll be converted and it wont matter how high the electricity bills are :lol:

Oscar

weird
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 10:05 AM
Hook an exercise bike up the tanks to generate the excess electricity... atleast now you will have motivation to keep in shape ! j/k Gorgeous discus ... gorgeous bod ! lol.

Chris McMahon
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 12:45 PM
Yeah I'll try insulating the sides and back with foam and for next winter I'll even try the blanket as well.Get some 10-15mm foam and cover the back and two sides. You'll cut your heating bill by at least 50%. I was surprised how well my 5x2x2 keeps heat in. The foam should cost under $10.

If you want it to look good, paint it black on both sides, before you stick it to the outside of the tank. If it's for a breeding tank, blue is a better color so the fry aren't as attracted to it.

DiscusMad
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 12:49 PM
what about looking into sola power just for the tanks???