PDA

View Full Version : Lamb Heart recipe

DiscusMad
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 05:53 PM
Well I could't find any ox/beef hart so I though to try useing sheep hart. There was alot of fat to trim off but at 50cets per heart.

7 lamb heart trimed of fat (there is alot of fat on them)

12 green prawns

4 trimed chicken liver

4 cloves of garlic

1 tin of tuna in spring water

1/2 medium contaner of colourbits (crushed)

4 vit C tablets (chewable) crushed

6 spirulina tablets crushed

All went through the meat grinder into one big mess mixed well andput into freezer bags and flattened out.

OK this is my first try at making my own food for my fish. The first few days they were not happy about the new food but after they tryed it I seem to have a huge feeding frenzy in my tankwhere ever the food sinks to all the fish in the tankare trying to get closest to it.

Even my shy snakeskin which gets bullied the most gets out there and realy fight the bullies off so it can get some. The colours are brighter and the are more active than before!

I use to buy the pre made BH from the local pet shop and feed them the colour bits in the morning and then feed them the BH at night. Now I only feed them the food I made up for them.

kalebjarrod
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 09:43 PM
sounds like a good mix Discus Mad

i tend to use some spinach and a carrot (stemmed till soft)

thats a great natural source of vit c, b and carotene

+ as my mum always said "fibre keeps you regular"

DiscusMad
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 01:01 PM
lol they poop enough as it is

Mattzilla
Mon Aug 30, 2004, 12:40 AM
yeah i definately add spinach and carrot and things like that. i try to balance out the amount of meat and evegetables a bit so they they are not just eating meat group!!

i recently purchased some natural astaxanthin powder so i'll be making a new batch of b/h and adding that as well. i'll let you know the results

Escher
Mon Aug 30, 2004, 06:11 AM
Where do you get that astaxantin stuff???, Health store, pharmacy?
:)

kalebjarrod
Mon Aug 30, 2004, 08:03 AM
spirulina, Haematocoous (alges), prawns, red capsicum, crayfish, mosqutio larva, crab, spinich all contain astaxanthin in varied amounts