PDA

View Full Version : leaf litter substrate

maddyfish
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 02:22 PM
Does anybody out there use leaf litter as a substrate in their Discus tank?

Proteus
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 08:05 PM
Personally I havent tried it, but I have heard lots about Almond leaf being used for this (or maybe I am confused)

kalebjarrod
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 09:26 PM
alot of people have been talking about substrates on this forum,

IMO its hard enough to keep a planted tank clean with gravel let alone adding a material that cannot be vac

sunshinediscus
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 10:13 PM
Hi Proteus,

Yes it is almond leaf you have heard about. It is a big deal in Penang and just about every pet shop i visited had some in the tanks. Apparently it has a medicinal quality. Some exporters even add a leaf to the shipping bags especially red tail and rainbow sharks.

Maddyfish,

Wetpets adds blood gum leaves to some of the tanks, use dried leaves and soak for a few days to remove the tannins then they are right to use. A pain to clean the tank with leaf litter for sure, but it does look very nice and natural. Dwarf cichlids really love them, quite often they will spawn within the leaves.

kalebjarrod
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 12:01 AM
i know you blow me out of the water when it come to fish but plants, thats my fortee

which type of blod gum is it Rod, i know of 15 botanical types called blood gums which can have up to another 15 subspp's

the most common ones would be Euc gummifera or the Red Blood wood,
or Euc. maculata or the Sydney Blue Gum or the Blue Gum.

good for chiclids you say, but would you use these as a substrate for discus?

maddyfish
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 12:41 AM
I have a friend who uses both almond leaves and oak leaves as substrate and it makes for an interesting looking tank. I am just curious as to its effects on Discus.

sunshinediscus
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 05:02 AM
Hey Ryan,

Now you got me there, i have no idea of the botanical name of the blood gums used. Most likely any gum leaf would be fine. Yes i'm sure your plant knowledge would blow me out of the water....lol.

Maddyfish,

Didn't notice your location until just now, i spose gum leaves might be hard to find in the US. I don't think the discus would mind leaf litter in the tank as long as they are not of a type that releases any toxins.

Rod

Proteus
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 07:43 AM
Rod, you would be surprised... I dont know about in KY, but on the West Coast, especially California, they have as many Gum trees as us... (came from here as well over 100yrs ago)