PDA

View Full Version : Holiday

D.J
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 11:11 AM
Hi, I am going overseas with my family for 5 weeks in December.
Any hint from anyone on how to prepare the Discus before I leave?
A little bit about the tank....
Its an Aqua one AR-850, which they say contains 165l of water, but only 150l IMO, I have 5 Juvies, 1 BD, 1 SS, 2 Bunga rayas, and 1 Leopard spot. I normally do 20% w/c twice a week, 2 filters are running ATM, 1 Aqua one CF700 Cannister filter, which I use as biological filter and a build in filter that comes with the tank (mechanical).
Ammonia & nitrite is always @ 0 mg/l, ph is 7.00 after w/c and 6.85 before w/c.
My brother will come 3 times a week, which he will feed the discus with blood worm & beef heart, I will get an eheim auto feeder for the remaining time. Will that do?
He will also do one w/c per week, he won't do two no matter how hard I bribed him. :twisted: :lol:
How much w/c do you think he should do?
I know it's still a long way to go, but I just want to make sure that everything is a OK before I leave. I asked the mrs if I could stay behind with my fish, but she gave the filthiest look I have ever seen thrown @ me. :wink:
Thanks for the input guys.

flukes
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 01:29 PM
By the sounds of it, there will still be minimum maintaince kept, just get your brother too change 30% of the water.

Because they are still young you might want too look at some products that obsorb nitrates, there are filter pads on the market and there are a few pouches.

Also make up some carbon in a stocking, make a few before you go so he can just change the stocking over when he feeds them.

Other than that seems like you have done a good job planning this out.

kalebjarrod
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 09:50 PM
and i would start doing the same changes a few months out so you know what the tank will do!

you might find you may need to do one 40% per week to keep the nirtate down

i would be more concered about the fact you may come home, find your brother has falling in love with the fish, stolen tham and gone interstate :wink:

P.S
I asked the mrs if I could stay behind with my fish, but she gave the filthiest look I have ever seen thrown @ me.

Nice work Champion, Very Nice Work Indeed

D.J
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the advise Scott and Ryan,

Will start doing a 40% w/c about 4 weeks before I go to get the fish used to it.
Will look for the nitrate pad, see if sls got some of them.
I won't be so worry about the fish being stolen by my brother, as I got him in to Discus 4 weeks ago.
He got himself 5 Discus from sls (where I got mine from), his mrs was not that happy abouit it. :)
The main reason I got him in to it is so he knows what I expect from him during my trip. :twisted:
Imagine of how many more discus I could buy from my flight fare? :cry:

Donald.

kalebjarrod
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 12:04 AM
ahhh but just think,

stop at some countries and you could sell the family recope your funds and live the life of a hermit with your fish loving brother keeping discus till the day you die. LOL

the rest sounds good, you should not have any problems now.

flukes
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 01:29 AM
Where you going? if you cant stay home with the fish might want to convince her Penang is nice that time of year. :wink: