PDA

View Full Version : Discus Gravel / PH Level

africandiscus
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 04:48 AM
I wanted to get black gravel. i love the look of it with green plants and brown wood. However, I have been told the ph level is 7.2 which is to high for discus.

Is that true, or where do you get low ph black gravel?

Thanks

Merrilyn
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 04:57 AM
Black gravel looks wonderful with the rich green of plants, but the aquarium gravel available will give you ph problems. There is an artificially coloured gravel available sold in small bags - totally inert - colour does not fade however VERY expensive to do a big tank. If you want to go that way I will find out the name for you. I have used this and it does not alter ph or hardness. Just a point to remember, all your discus will darken slightly to match the substrate. Any peppering will be more visible.

africandiscus
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 05:10 AM
Thanks, please can you find out the product name.

What is the ideal PH level. There are som many conflicting reports

Merrilyn
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 05:28 AM
Confusing isn't it. Everyone has their own ideas about ph and the truth of the matter is that there is no exact answer. In an ideal world you would keep water for breeding pairs at around 6.5. There can be a wide variation in that, anything from 5.5 to 6.8. For growing fry I keep the water at 7.2 and toss a handful of shellgrit into the filter to increase hardness. Growing bones need extra calcium and minerals. For general maintenance, just whatever comes out of the tap with out alteration is best. You will be doing big water changes so try to keep it simple. After 24 hours ageing my water is 7.1 so thats what the fish get. And yes, I'll get the name of that gravel for you.

africandiscus
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 05:39 AM
Thanks, what is the best tool for measuring PH. I use the sera ph kit where you compare the water colour to that chart they give you. I can only tell the ph range not a specific number. What should I be using if I want to monitor my ph and breed discuss, or at least attempt to.

Thanks

kalebjarrod
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 06:44 AM
Discus have been know to breed in varied pH levels the main point all these breeders made was water quailty

water quailty is the key so invest in a drum and pump so water changes are easier.

sunshinediscus
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 09:15 AM
A simple test for gravel to check if it has an alkaline reaction is to pour a few drops of a strong acid like hydrocloric on it. If it bubbles and froths then the gravel will raise your ph and is unsuitable for a discus tank.

flukes
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 01:25 PM
Doesnt vingar have the same effect?? With substrate that it

sunshinediscus
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 10:03 PM
Yes vinegar does have the same reaction but it is not as immediate or obvious. If you prefer to use vinegar then put some gravel in a cup of vinegar and you will see bubbles within 24 hours if it is reactive.

Cheers

Rod

flukes
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 01:31 AM
Mate if i stare at a cup of gravel for 24hours the mrs will send me too the nut house.

Might have too try a stronger acid.

africandiscus
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 05:10 AM
Where would I get a drum and pump from?

Merrilyn
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 11:36 AM
you will find an article on this forum about electronic ph meters - Dick Smith sell one at around $90 sometimes $70 approx on special. I find the colour charts too inaccurate. Toage water its best to use a food grade drum (try the yellow pages under plastics) should cost around $30 for something that will hold 80 litres. For a pump you can use a power head available from your lfs with a hose attached straight into your tank. Just check on flow rate because they have more difficulty pumping water uphill so tell them what u want to use it for.

flukes
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 01:41 PM
In melbourne we have a company called ideal drums, they basically buy all the drums from companys in food, chemicals and general storage.

They sell a 220ltr food grade drum for $25, I am sure there should be a similar company in most states.

Even look for company's that melt them down and recycle them, they might sell you one before this process.

africandiscus
Sun Aug 29, 2004, 03:02 AM
Isnt a sump for mini reef. I have a canister filter. What should I do?

flukes
Sun Aug 29, 2004, 03:42 AM
What you mean?
The drum is for water changes. There you can age and prepare water then pump it too your tank when ready.

africandiscus
Sun Aug 29, 2004, 05:42 AM
So it is water ageing system. All the DIY sumps on the net look like mini reef.

http://www.kingvinnie.com/aquaria/diy/links_page.asp?cat=44

flukes
Sun Aug 29, 2004, 06:09 AM
I think we somewhere got lost on what we were talking about.

A DIY sump can be used for a freshwater tank, they are also used on most marine tanks. The main reason they are so popular is the space for media, with added oxygen it gives bacteria a chance to thrive and of course the cost.

There are a few members on this board using sumps for filtration atm, and iam about to set ine up where i will do progress pics of the work.

africandiscus
Sun Aug 29, 2004, 08:32 AM
Which Powerheads are stong enought to pump water out of a drum up into an aquarium?

thanks

flukes
Sun Aug 29, 2004, 01:36 PM
a powerhead might beable to do it ut it would only just, you will need a submergable pump.

skoom
Wed Sep 01, 2004, 12:04 AM
I use a 50L bin for water changes, and makes life really easy. Just pump the water in from the tap via a hose, pop in a heater and an airstone and age it for 2 days. Add water ager while you're at it.

Do it twice a week, water change and gravel vac........fish are so happy!!!