PDA

View Full Version : They just dont get it.

flukes
Thu Aug 26, 2004, 04:32 PM
I have a pair that have been spawning off and on for the last couple of months.

At first i put in a 10cm PVC pipe fo them too spawn on, no go they still liked the glass. Then i made a slate triangle, now the deicded plant leaves was the go. Now i have just put in a breeding cone, this time the have chosen a stocking hanging in the tank full of carbon.

Thing is i actually need to change the carbon :lol:

Ahh well at least they are getting plenty of practice.

Any was i can make the cone more appealing??

Spose its just a waiting game, i dont mind aslong as they priduce fry!!

Proteus
Thu Aug 26, 2004, 09:33 PM
I had a JBL breeding cone in my tank for months beforethey decided it was worthy target practice.

On the floor, on the glass walls, filter intakes, Plant leaves, etc, etc...

Now, every 8-10 days, the breeding cone is home to eggs.

flukes
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 01:29 AM
I was going too lace the cone in pheramones (SP?) too try too attract them too it. Maybe a bit extreme.

They will find it sooner or later.....

nicholas76
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 01:25 PM
Lol - your a crack up Scott.

can appreciate the desperate attempt when trying to get your fish to spawn though.

flukes
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 01:54 PM
ey Nick the yellows spawned today, didn't get to actually see it but they are not fertile almost clear. The male might not have even tried to fertilise them i dont know as i didnt get too see it.

They dont have a clue either, really funny they spawned around the base of a plant pot, :lol: Must have been hard too lay eggs as your horizontal.

nicholas76
Sun Aug 29, 2004, 12:09 AM
I told you , you had a pair !!! 100% strike rate still exists.

Can I advise not going anywhere near them as they do they wild thing, atleast for the first few tries.

no current on during this time i hope.

bright yellow eggs no problems. ( or they white tic tacs ?) Fatten them up and get ready for the next spawn next week.

NIck

flukes
Sun Aug 29, 2004, 04:38 AM
Still not sure if they are a pair for sure, I dont even know which one layed them. Also they are definietly not fertile white as tic tacs.

I ll have to catch them in the act next time.

I have a spawning frenzy going on, i think the SSS and blue diamond gave some teaching too the yellows in spawning. Straight after the first 2 spawned the yellows did.

Any way we shall wait and see, now the "male" is fanning the eggs (dead eggs) and the female is looking at the spawning cone. So ill do a water chnage today just to set them off.

Hopefully this time they can think of a better place too spawn then the bottom of a plant pot.

nicholas76
Sun Aug 29, 2004, 07:33 AM
doubt it was a one nights stand scott Lmoa

Its fantastic when one pair sets of the other pair, pheremones in the water do wonders dont they.

Regards

NIck

Merrilyn
Sun Aug 29, 2004, 01:08 PM
Congratulations Flukes - this will be your first spawning wont it. Good luck. Seems you might have to use those other tanks after all. Babies everywhere. Must be spring in the air (or water).

flukes
Sun Aug 29, 2004, 01:43 PM
Yeah these Yellows have been teasing me for a while, i got another pair that produce wrigglers like a worm farm, but iam not as exicted for the fry as the yellows.