PDA

View Full Version : Er ocean green??????

DiscusMad
Thu Aug 26, 2004, 02:46 PM
At home I have a very nice looking disus that I had bought from SLS as an Ocean Green but now after 6 months it looks like what AdelaideAnt is selling http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=794

are they the same fish with diffrent names????????

flukes
Thu Aug 26, 2004, 04:29 PM
A Ocean green discus is the color of the ocean. It is not the green of plants. More of a jade color if you will, at first glace it may look like a blue diamond.

It should have a green tinge too it, also Proteus has some ocean greens from kev might want to ask him if he would be kind enough to post some pics.

It may take them a while for the green to develope, also it might need time to develope to your tank. Like most discus, they need time to get used too the enviroment before it starts too show full color.

Most of all dont stress, Kev would have sold you a ocean green, he is not a private dealer that has too lie to make sales.

Proteus
Thu Aug 26, 2004, 09:23 PM
BD's have a more rounded nape (forehead)

Ocean greens have a much better shape IMO

sunshinediscus
Thu Aug 26, 2004, 09:27 PM
Flukes is right about the color of ocean discus, they are definately a different color to bd's.

When i was in penang at one of the big breeders place he showed me ocean green and bd that were close to each other on the rack, now i couldn't tell them apart despite the breeders insistence they were different. But i have some i recently bought from singapore and the color is immediatly obvious. My og's are only 5cm body size and already have the jade green color.

AdelaideAnt
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 11:39 AM
not a better shape than my BD's :P

DiscusMad
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 03:56 PM
Well I'll just have to call it "That fish" lol untill I can post a pic of it!

AdelaideAnt
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 11:03 PM
have the ocean greens at work (reynella aquariums), certanly no difference when they are juvies, apparently they develop into more green as they get older.

Anthony :)

Mattzilla
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 04:15 AM
yep, the colour definately developes as they mature.

sunshinediscus
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 04:46 AM
Sorry Anthony and Matt,

If they look like bd's when they are small then they are bd's, proper ocean greens are obviously different even when they are very small imo.

Rod

Proteus
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 07:40 AM
better shape... :wink:

sunshinediscus
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 08:53 AM
LOL Proteus, yeah i agree better shape!! Well most of them anyway, the bd's i get from my friend Roy Khoo in Singapore are pretty wicked shape though. Check out your copy of exotic discus of the world, some of Roys bd's are featured in there.

AdelaideAnt
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 10:43 AM
are you saying that SLS ocean greens are not ocean greens? the ones i'm talking about are the same fish from the same shipment. I doubt they are just BD's.

Anthony

sunshinediscus
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 10:51 AM
I'm sure sls bought them as ocean greens, but if they are not green then they are not the real thing. I haven't seen them so won't comment and even if i did see a pic i wouldn't comment. I know how difficult it can be to capture the true color in a photo and i would need to see the fish in person so i feel confident enough to make a judgement.

AdelaideAnt
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 01:02 PM
I think others will have a differing oppinion, some people have already said they develop their green colour as they get older. But thats what this forum is all about, hopefully we can find out for sure. Blue diamonds themselves on different angles are green, and if you take a pic using a flash that green is very noticable. I've been puzzled by ocean greens, however the highfin fellas that RenellaAqua has are very nice fish anyways.

Anthony

Anthony

DiscusMad
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 01:09 PM
Now after reading all this I'm even more confused the other day the it turned and it looked very blue but it has the smallest amount of green on its fins.

well I'll guess I'll just call it george untill I know if its a boy or girl lol

kevkoi
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 01:10 PM
There is a tank of Blue diamonds and another of Ocean greens. The difference is quite evident when you see them side by side.

DiscusMad
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 01:12 PM
but it doesen't matter that much what it is cause its still a great looking fish!

flukes
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 01:47 PM
Mate you can call it bob, the main thing is your happy with it. I have fish i dont really know what too call them but the main thing is a like them.

How long have they been in your tank? All strains when in a new tank will take a few days or even weeks too develope full colorafter changing enviroment and the stress of shipping.

I have seen Red passions that look totally yellow after shipping, to after settling in have the nicest red i have seen on any fish. Might have too give them time.

Main thing is mate that your happy. Then you can call them Ocean Blues. :wink:

DiscusMad
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 02:36 PM
Main thing is mate that your happy. Then you can call them Ocean Blues. :wink:

lol the demestic authority would like that

Had the fish in the tank for the past 6-7 months

nicholas76
Sun Aug 29, 2004, 07:41 AM
discus mad,

I know your predicament. Some look like blue diamonds others dont.

This is a female green that belongs to lady red off this forum.

When the sunlight hits it the right way, green shines off the fins, and body.

:D

Regards

Nick

kevkoi
Sun Aug 29, 2004, 02:02 PM
Ocean green fish at SLS...

kevkoi
Sun Aug 29, 2004, 02:05 PM
Large 4" Ocean Green from a previous shipment.

DiscusMad
Thu Sep 02, 2004, 01:35 PM
thanks Kev thats cleared up things