PDA

View Full Version : Force feeding discus?

Mta472
Mon Sep 04, 2006, 04:13 PM
Finally after trying several unsuccessful approaches to getting my 5 inch red royal blue discus better, I succeeded by dosing the tank with 400m/40L metro evry other day along with 250mg tetracycline/40 L daily, raising the temperature to 94 degrees and adding 3 tablespoons aquarium salt per 5 gallons water.

Her color has returned to normal and her eyes are clear again. Although she doesn't look emaciated - she ate like a horse before she got sick - she hasn't eaten in 16 days, and spends most of the time face downward on the bottom of the tank.

Is there someway- eg thawed blood worms mixed with tank water using an eyedropper - I can force feed her or is it just a matter of time before she comes around and starts eating on her own?

My concern is that even though the disease may be gone, after 16 days of not eating she may be just too weak to feed herself and end up starving to death as a result.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Mike

Phlipper
Sat Sep 09, 2006, 06:05 AM
Sorry cant really help much here, but in my experience with force feeding of animals, birds, reptiles etc etc, to be succesfull at all the food must be inserted carefully deep within the gullet or stomach itself or it will simply be regurgitated and serve no purpose. I cant be certain but I think the same will apply to fish, not really achievable...............sorry cant help.