PDA

View Full Version : WTB Apistogramma Bitaeniata -Sydney, Australia

TW
Mon Sep 04, 2006, 12:24 AM
Sadly my Apistogramma Bitaeniata male passed away over night. :cry:

I'm left with a very healthy breeding female. What I'd like to do is find her a new mate. Does anyone know if they've seen one in Sydney (prepared to drive outside of Sydney too) either in a LFS or a private hobbyist who has bred a spare male that is for sale. Here is the best shot I ever took of my male, so you can see what I'm looking for. http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/27.jpg

My first choice would be if I can get a mate for my female, but I also hate to see her alone. So if I fail in getting her a mate, another possibility would be if any of you have a male you're not prepared to part with, then I'd rather see my girl happy with you in a nice well kept tank, than see her sad & alone.

Happy to hear any suggestions on leads for male fish. Would prefer just the male, but will buy a pair if necessary.

Thanks

Th0mas
Mon Sep 04, 2006, 12:56 PM
Sorry to hear from your losses.

Do you have a clearer picture of the male?

If I remember correctly, you should be looking for a particular strain of bitaeniata - different strain crossing produces sibblings that cannot be claimed as one particular strain (depreciate the value of one side of the heritage).

I've got no idea of what's around right now, last visit to LFS was two weeks ago to Auburn and it wasn't that impressive in terms of stock level (a pair here and there, definitely no bitaeniata).

Good luck with your search, sometime it takes a long time to find your fish a partner.

Thomas.

TW
Mon Sep 04, 2006, 01:08 PM
Thanks Thomas, LFS told me he was Tefe, but others say definitely not - but one of Peru ones. Unfortunately, I have no firm identification for the local.

That is the clearest pic I have.

I was at Auburn last weekend too, so know no Bita's there. LFS who sold him told me today they are not getting more either.

I guess it's not looking good.

TW
Mon Sep 04, 2006, 01:09 PM
This was a double post. I can't figure out how you delete posts here?

rainbow
Tue Sep 05, 2006, 03:22 AM
You might be in luck, I saw some of these guys at Strathfield aquarium two weeks ago. Geive them a call first.

TW
Tue Sep 05, 2006, 03:39 AM
Thanks for the tip. I've emailed them a pic (after speaking on the phone & LFS wasn't sure either way). He'll let me know after he looks at the pic if he has the fish.

Thanks again.

AdamR
Tue Sep 05, 2006, 10:54 PM
If you already cant remember what location they are from it doesnt matter where you get a partner fish from. Sure you wont get top dollar for fry, but at least you stand a chance to get fry and ensure that this species continues in Australia. When people by fish like cacatoides or the majority of aggassis they are happy to have them. Most dont mind where they come from as long as they are attractive fish. Yours definately fulfils that criteria. Just find another bitaeniata. Im sure a few pedantic people wont buy them, but by breeding a non location specific species your enabling more people the opportunity to buy them and get the same love for apistos you have.

Adam

TW
Wed Sep 06, 2006, 12:03 AM
It's not that I can't remember. LFS said for sure it is Tefe, but Kev Koi & also Mike Wise from apistogramma forum both say it is not from Tefe, but from Peru. They were both pretty definite about that. Kev did not say from which part of Peru & Mike Wise said he did not know specific local, just that he is one of the Peru varieties. At the time, this didn't bother me as he was sooo pretty - but it is of more concern now that I'm trying to match him.

I sent the Strathfield guy a pic, but he hasn't got back to me. I will give him another call.

If he has a bitaeniata (& he wasn't sure what he had) I will definitly go & have a look. I will firstly try for as close a match as I can - but as you say, as I don't know his local (other than just generally Peru) it will be hard to know for sure & in the end, if I do find a nice male bita that is close, I will have to settle for that.

I'm lucky that before dying he produced fry. He died in the morning & that night I found free swimming fry. I am hoping to salvage some of these & therefore grow my own bitiaeniata.

Thanks for your help & advice. Hope the shop has a close match for me.

TW
Thu Sep 07, 2006, 03:36 AM
Hi AdamR, thought I'd let you know how I went with Strathfield.

No Bita's at the moment, although they did/do have something similar - but it isn't a Bita. It is not a dead end though. They made enquiries with their wholesaler & maybe some will come in a month or two. They will keep my details & the fish pic on file & will try to get one for me.

So, my fingers & toes are crossed.

Thanks again for the tip.