PDA

View Full Version : Need help Please

slabba
Sun Sep 03, 2006, 03:30 PM
I have a pair which had successfully laid a number of times in a community tank. So I decided to move them to their own tank, hoping to get further with the breeding. Both did not take too kindly to the move initially, didn't eat at all for a week, and have been very picky since, although the male is now starting to show interest again but the female concerns me. She is slightly darker than normal, has been this way since the move, poo is very little but and white, but as she is not eating I wouldn't expect alot to be coming out. It has been 18 days since moving, 30% water change gets done weekly. The real curious thing is out of her nostrils, white gunk? Do Discus get a blocked nose? Is this a silly question? The other thing I have noticed with her is inflammation line above her top lip, slightly white in parts, like a fighting wound when two fish lock mouths, but she hasn't been fighting with the male. Also lately I have noticed a couple of hair like stuff off her body, but only at times. She doesn't move around alot and stays put in the two back corners, and behind the male. The male does occassionally shake his body/fins (mostly fin shaking) at her, don't know if this a bit of agro or what?

Temp is 28
Ph is 7.2

Thanks

HAN 'd' Aquariums
Thu Sep 07, 2006, 12:39 PM
Hi Slabba,
Your picture in not loading onto my screen (not sure if its just my computer).
Are you able to test other water parameters such as ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
Heidi

Nathan
Thu Sep 07, 2006, 12:49 PM
yea its not working on mine either, even though it had been working a couple days ago??

*Chris*
Thu Sep 07, 2006, 01:11 PM
sounds like a facial pore infection or the starts of hole in head
check all your water perameters and see if there is something wrong

hole in head is caused by stress and can also be associated with hexamita
the stress element of being moved could have allowed the bacteria to take over
see how you go and keep us posted
cheers
EXAI

slabba
Thu Sep 07, 2006, 02:16 PM
Thanks for your replies. I have re-posted the picture, don't know why it stopped working.
Update is the female no longer has the white stuff coming out of her nostrils, one side cleared and a day later the other side cleared. This was a day or so later after adding salt to the tank, a dose of tri-sulfa, and bumped up temp to 30.
All the other water params are fine...But she still is not eating and is dark, the male is fine, eating well but she shows no interest. She basically shadows the male. The wound on her lip has also cleared and looks OK.
Any ideas?
Thanks

*Chris*
Thu Sep 07, 2006, 10:51 PM
she does look a bit skinny
try worming both of them and see how you go she may pick her appetite back up
levimisole should do the trick
and 30 degrees from now on should be your target in regards to tempreture
dont go below it ohter wise fish get sick and could also be the reason ahe went off her food to start with
and the fluffy growths coming out her nostril pores that would have been an infection tri sulfa would have fixed it
good work mate
EXAI

slabba
Fri Sep 08, 2006, 02:14 PM
Bad news, the female has developed HTH above the right nostril, wound is about the size of a pin head, her caudal fin doesn't look the best either. I have rushed out to the vet and got some metro and have started dosing tonight. Suprisingly the male looks the best I have seen him, colours are great.

samir
Fri Sep 08, 2006, 02:36 PM
did you check your tank for ammonia ??? was your tank cycled before you put them in ?

slabba
Fri Sep 08, 2006, 02:48 PM
Nil ammonia. Tank was cycled prior to.
Thanks