PDA

View Full Version : totally new to DISCUS/ help on the setup

ppsthlm
Sat Sep 02, 2006, 11:10 PM
Hi,

I´ve been having saltwater aquariums before, but been thinking about a Discus-tank for quite some time now. I find it much harder to find info on the setup of the tank when it comes to Discus than it is for the Reef-aquariums. This is why I now have a few questions. I hope you can help me...

I´ve realized 29°c is a good temperature, and I intend to use a Reverse Osmosis unit for the water. I realize that quite heavy waterchanges is needed and a good filter as well.

Except for that, what do I need. I have quite a lot of equipment from the latest salt-tank, like pH computer and uvc filter- which I thought I might use. Do you connect CO2 to the water in some way?? I also have some Tunze Turbelle circulation-pumps. (One is 7000 l/hour and one is 12 000 l/hour). Even the smallest one of those would be too much circulation for Discus- or? How much circulation is recommended?
Anything else I should think about? I heard it might be good to keep some roots and stuff for the pH- is this right?

Please inform me. And if you know of webpages of tank-setups for the Discus-tanks, please give me some links...

Thanks you very much!!

/ppsthlm

Merrilyn
Sun Sep 03, 2006, 05:22 AM
A very warm welcome to the forum ppsthlm.

As you've already successfully kept marine fish, then you should find discus fairly uncomplicated.

As you can imagine, this is a very frequently asked question. This link will give you information that was provided for the benefit of one of our new members. Lots of interesting reading there. http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8322

Discus prefer soft, slightly acid water with a pH of around 6.8, but they have been succcessfully kept in a variety of water conditions. Stability seems to be the key here. Fluctuations in either pH or GH are not appreciated by discus.

Can you test your tap water, and post the results of pH, KH and GH. It may already be suitable for discus without having to resort to RO water.

A good filter is necessary, when you consider that discus come from some of the cleanest waters in the world. You can either use canister, HOB, air driven sponge or sump, or a combination of the above. The choice is yours, depending on the size of the tank.

In my opinion, UV units are essential in a discus tank, as is an airstone to provide additional oxygen without a huge current.

Driftwood looks wonderful in the discus tank and provides some water softening effects that your discus will appreciate.

Again welcome, and good luck with your venture.

ppsthlm
Tue Sep 05, 2006, 09:44 PM
Thank you so much for your reply.

I will get some testkits so I can test my tap water.
I will also test my RO water to compare results...

I will be getting a 190 liter tank.
I was thinking about getting a breeding pair and only keep them in the tank. Do you think this is a bad idea? Would it be better to get 6 juveniles?
I really would like to make a tank for a nice breeding pair, but I´m really interested to hear your comments on that...

What sort of filter would be the ideal filter? I was thinking about using one internal filter as well as one external. I was thinking about getting a filter sort of like the Eheim Professionel Thermofilter or perhaps the Eheim Wet/Dry External Filter. Do you have any suggestions? Or should I just use a classic Eheim External Filter? Which one would be the best? I would like to hear your ideas on good and bad sides about different filters... What do you use?

I have a pH computer. I was thinking about using that. Do you ever connect CO2 units to Discus tanks? If so- how? Directly through a bubblecounter- or how?

Even though I´m thinking about getting a breeding pair- is it possible to make my tank quite nice-looking anyway? I would like to keep a big root in the middle of the tank as well as live plants. I´ld be glad to get ideas on this...

Thanks.

/ppsthlm

DR.V
Sun Sep 10, 2006, 09:52 AM
I was thinking about getting a breeding pair and only keep them in the tank. Do you think this is a bad idea? Would it be better to get 6 juveniles?

If you never kept discus before, I suggest that you get some juveniles first and start growing them. Once they mature and ready, hopefully they will pair up.

I really would like to make a tank for a nice breeding pair, but I´m really interested to hear your comments on that...

That would be very good. But bear in mind that "nice breeding pair" wont be cheap.

What sort of filter would be the ideal filter?

For breeding tank, a sponge filter will do. Since you will be doing daily water change to stimulate spawning, thats enough. Other than that you can add a cannister filter, but make sure to cover the intake to prevent fry getting sucked.

I have a pH computer. I was thinking about using that. Do you ever connect CO2 units to Discus tanks? If so- how? Directly through a bubblecounter- or how?

CO2 would be great for discus planted tank. Are you planning to have some plants?

Even though I´m thinking about getting a breeding pair- is it possible to make my tank quite nice-looking anyway? I would like to keep a big root in the middle of the tank as well as live plants. I´ld be glad to get ideas on this...

Normally people keep their breeding tank barebottom and only place a breeding cone. The reason is to keep the tank as clean as possible. Without gravel, it would me much easier to keep the tank clean.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

ppsthlm
Sun Sep 10, 2006, 04:57 PM
Thank you very much.

I know that a nice breeding pair costs- but that´s ok. I´ve kept salttanks, so I´m used to expensive fish.

So the CO2 is only needed for the plants- not for the fish?
What would you recommend? Would there be a lot of algae-problems? I was thinking about keeping just a breeding pair- and no algae-eater....

Perhaps I´ll skip the plants if it´s hard to keep in such a tank... But I would like to keep some sand and a giant root. This is gonna be my only tank for a while, so I want it to be nice to look at- not too naked. Do you think I´ll be ok if I vacum the sand once a week during the major waterchange...??

DR.V
Mon Sep 11, 2006, 02:08 AM
CO2 only needed for planted tank!

Fish dont breath CO2, they need the opposite, OXYGEN !

So if you want to have a breeding tank, you will need enough oxygen, use air pump.

I will not have algae problem if you keep up with regular water change.

So your breeding tank would be your only tank ? If so, its up to you if you want to have substrate. But ideal breeding tank are barebottom, so that its easy to maintain and keep water quality high. Other people have successful breeding discus in a planted tank with substrate. They laid their eggs on plants or driftwood.

It would be good to just have the pair in the tank. If you have other fish in the tank, they might eat the eggs or fry.

BTW where is your location ? Can you edit your profile please. Thanks

ppsthlm
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 07:38 PM
Thank you very much for your answers!!
Now I know abit more about how to do the setup.
My location is Stockholm, Sweden (Europe).

FishLover
Wed Sep 13, 2006, 01:35 PM
Wow, the world is getting smaller and smaller.

Depends on the tap water, some people use CO2 to control the pH level. I don't bother with it but some people do, especially it they have plants in the tank.

k9outfit
Thu Sep 14, 2006, 03:54 AM
To get the best of both worlds, my 2 "rescue" Discus are currently housed in a 50 gallon tank that's bare-bottom, with pieces of driftwood, and Amazon Swords in pots. I can move both wood & plants to keep the bottom spotlessly clean. It's actually very attractive, therefore I'll be setting up my 230 gallon tank in the same fashion.

Nathan
Thu Sep 14, 2006, 06:33 AM
To get the best of both worlds, my 2 "rescue" Discus are currently housed in a 50 gallon tank that's bare-bottom, with pieces of driftwood, and Amazon Swords in pots. I can move both wood & plants to keep the bottom spotlessly clean. It's actually very attractive, therefore I'll be setting up my 230 gallon tank in the same fashion.

ive seen setups like that before, it looks pretty good, a nice driftwood garden is always nice, tad expehnsive if your gonna buy one from your LFS though.

the added advantage of havn the driftwood an plants in there is the wood helps to soften your water an plants help to cycle the tank, an i think it keep the water more stable, im not sure if its written anywhere but definitely from experience i think it does.

ppsthlm
Thu Sep 14, 2006, 02:33 PM

You don´t have a picture of the tank to post??

k9outfit
Mon Sep 18, 2006, 01:51 AM
You don´t have a picture of the tank to post??
:oops: No; sorry... Don't have a digital, only a reflex camera with film - and just started a new roll of film to boot. But, if you don't mind waiting... Or, possibly someone else might have the same type of setup? :wink: Actually though, if you can get some pieces of driftwood that are only paritally submerged (hanging like statactites) or propped up against the sides, along with some on the bottom, that's by far the nicest look! Go for the real gnarly pieces... :)

tad expehnsive if your gonna buy one from your LFS though
For my 230 gallon tank, I'll just keep adding pieces whenever I find an interesting chunk of wood. I have enough to start with, and adding a few pieces here & there shouldn't break the bank... I hope.... And I should have it looking "just right" in a year or 2!

Peaches
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 04:05 PM
We have a planted tank and don't use Co2, nor do we use it to control the pH, we have the bogwood for that.

We're having some issues right now, but that's my two cents on Co2, it's not necessary.