PDA

View Full Version : Newbee needs help.

africandiscus
Wed Aug 25, 2004, 09:01 AM
I am new to discus. I got 5 discus in my 5ft tank. 3 of the 5 stay near the top of the tank and it looks like they are sucking the surface.

What does this mean?

nicholas76
Wed Aug 25, 2004, 10:44 AM
give us more details mate.

planted or bare bottom???

they eating food scraps or simply searching the gravel / sand for some food?

even better show us a pick

Chris McMahon
Wed Aug 25, 2004, 11:06 AM
3 of the 5 stay near the top of the tank and it looks like they are sucking the surface.What does this mean?Not enough oxygen content in the water maybe? Do you run an airline into the tank?

nicholas76
Wed Aug 25, 2004, 11:35 AM
sh** misread that

yeah spot on

Throw in an airstone!!!!!!!!!!!

africandiscus
Wed Aug 25, 2004, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the speedy response. The tank is planted with gravel. Should I be running an airstone 24hrs a day?

Thanks

africandiscus
Wed Aug 25, 2004, 11:57 AM
Sorry, when I say planted, I have a few plants, not too many. I want to geta co2 system. Can you use an airstone and a co2 system?

nicholas76
Wed Aug 25, 2004, 12:10 PM
for now dont worry about the O2

mate are your discus gasping for air? gills moving heavily , Do they change colour?? do they go very dark then change back to normal?

i dont want to freak you out with disease possibiltys. What colour do the poo?

i have an airstone on 24 hours.

flukes
Wed Aug 25, 2004, 02:39 PM
90% chance its lack of air, might aswell hook up a sponge filter too an air pump, so you get nice water clarity and the needed added air.

You should also have it on 24hours, you need oxygen 24hours a day and so do your fish!!

africandiscus
Thu Aug 26, 2004, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the responses, I dont have any surface movement, so oxygen may be the problem.

flukes
Thu Aug 26, 2004, 01:20 AM
You dont really need surface movement to have oxygen, it helps if you dont want to use an airpump you can use a powerhead near the surface to push oxygen into the water column.

But for this is not a good method because you said you wanted to introduce a Co2 system, where it is better too have less surface movement.

If you do want too use a Co2 system later down the track the n an airpump would be your best bet.

africandiscus
Thu Aug 26, 2004, 08:23 AM
Thanks airstone worked

weird
Thu Aug 26, 2004, 09:26 AM
Also an air sponge filter is something worth considering.

Chris McMahon
Thu Aug 26, 2004, 01:32 PM
Thanks air stone workedGlad is was a relatively easy fix. A lot better than having Nitrite poisoning or gill flukes.

On air stones - most will block up after a while. I've found the best ones are the solid plastic ones with the metal weight at the bottom.

However if you have the room, a great way to aerate the water and filter the tank is to use an air driven filter. The sponge will help convert your ammonia, and the air will give oxygen to the water.