PDA

View Full Version : Eggs. Everywhere, but not discus.

flukes
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 01:51 PM
Well got home today and found eggs all over the tank, on the breeding cone for the discus, on the tank walls on filters. Thinking maybe the discus went on a spawning spree at first. I then realised it must have been the albino cory. I actually had two of these guys till one died. I ended up keeping the other, which truns out is a female. Just wondering does the male have to fertilise them?? Iam guessing so because the eggs are stil very white.
She has seemed to have layed about 500 eggs. But not in one place in about 4-5 spots of 80-100 eggs.

Well poor gal doesnt have a man around so she is going too have to bare with it without the male support.

wyldchyld01
Wed Aug 25, 2004, 01:48 PM
flukes,

i know with your knowledge of discus i am stateing the obvious, but if you have a female that can fertalise the eggs herself i'm interested (would save on buying pairs of fish LOL)

so far as i know most animals (fishy friends included) need a male and a female for successful breeding

Till that self fertilising fish arrives

respect

Brenton

flukes
Wed Aug 25, 2004, 02:28 PM
There are fish spices where a female lays the eggs, and the male role is more with protection and looking after them. A bristlenose doesnt actually fertilise the eggs does it?

I could be wrong a bristlenose might actually fertilise the egg, iam not sure.

My question was not can the female raise the fry but does the male have too fertilise.

Well mate a stupid question is only that if not asked. :wink:

Ill wear the dunce hat on this one..

Merrilyn
Thu Aug 26, 2004, 08:39 AM
Hey Flukes - no such thing as a stupid question. In fact there have been recorded cases of certain species of fish that have laid fertile eggs with out a male present. There are also recorded cases in marine and freshwater fish of the largest female in a group becoming male in the absence of a true male. However in my experience, catfish are not one of the aforementioned groups. Your female obviously had a bunch of eggs she had to get rid of, even though there was no male in the tank. Unfortunately they won't be fertile, however she would be a very good breeder if you chance to get a male. :wink:

flukes
Thu Aug 26, 2004, 04:15 PM
In all the times i have seen my bn's lay eggs i have never witnessed the male actually fertilising them.

I know it sounds dumb that it would be fertilised, but i had to ask :oops:

Does anyone know the techniques of telling male from female in Albino Cories??

I read somewhere on the net that the female has a wider body just behind the fins but when i did have the other male it didn't look like there was much of a differnce.

Although they were fairly young so maybe they had not grow to adult proportions yet.

Any help with secxing would be great.

Cheers
Scott