PDA

View Full Version : Salt in a comunity tank ?

Dee
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 01:45 PM
Hi All,

It looks like on of my snakeskins has a touch of white spot or ich ? im not sure as i have never seen either before ... little white spots on body and on tail (about 5 in total). I've raised the temp to 29-30c and am about to add Aquarium salt at a dosage of 1 table spoon per 40L. I have a comunity tank with the following ---

6 x Juvi Discus
2 x Peppermint Bristle Noses
4 x Pepperd Cory's
12 x Cardinal Tetra's
12 x Rummy Nose Tetra's

Will any of the tank mates be affected adversley (sp) by the salt treatment, mainly pleco's and cory's ? i know they are fragile with some other meds. anyway sorry for a very "newbie" question, i just wanted to make sure before i add the salt.

Tank paremeters as follows ---

450L
PH 6.4
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
29c
Water Chages every second day with same temp and ph prepped water.

Cheers

D

flukes
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 02:27 PM
I dont think so, most of the meds that harm bn's are harsher meds like metro. Actually i treated at 2tbl to 40ltrs with pepps in the tank with no effects.

Dee
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 02:32 PM
Heya Flukes :)

Thanks for the prompt reply !!! :shock: your quick mate hehe :D

Thanks for the advice .... should i treat at 2 tbls per 40L or will 1 tbls per 40L suffice ?

Thanks

D

flukes
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 02:36 PM
Ich can be treated with just a temp raise but it might take longer, so start with 1 tblsp and if it hasn't cleared up in 2 days up the dose.

Dee
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 02:41 PM
Hi Flukes :)

Cool, will do !

Thanks again.

D

Dee
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 04:11 PM
Hi again :)

i did some more research, and will just go easy on the salt with the cory's

Thanks again !

D

weird
Thu Aug 26, 2004, 11:58 AM
I think formaldehyde with malachite green is the best treatment (with emphasis on the first) for white spot, and I think before I did 3x8 hour treatments with 50% water changes and ofcourse carbon removed, over a 3 day period... i.e. one 8 hour treatment, every day for 3 days.

But when doing that I must again say, when doing a 50% water change, make sure you have the temp and ph the same.

But ofcourse try salt and increase temp first....

Some say follow up with another treatment to make sure you break the cycle ... which is not a bad idea if you consider the nature of the beast...

flukes
Thu Aug 26, 2004, 04:57 PM
No need for harsher meds for white spot. Try to avoid them if possible and with white spot these can be avoided.

White spot cant really survive in higher temps so try just raising the heat first, then if no luck add 1/2-3/4 table spoon per 10 gals.

You should be able to cure it without having to use meds.

Remember the more you use these meds the fish begin to develope a tolerance to the meds, along with the desease.

kalebjarrod
Thu Aug 26, 2004, 10:10 PM
flukes is correct

use your temp and salt to your addvantage

meds are to be used sparingly, they work better and faster when used this way

Dee
Thu Sep 02, 2004, 07:06 AM
Hey all

Thanks for the advice :)

Just raising the temp seemed to do the trick, no salt added. it took a couple of days to pass, but all is clear :D

Thanks to all who posted reply's, much appreciated.

Cheers

D

kalebjarrod
Thu Sep 02, 2004, 08:28 AM
keep it simple

works well dosn't it

glad we could help

Dee
Thu Sep 02, 2004, 02:29 PM
G'day Ryan :)

Yeah i agree on keepin it simple, im still yet to use any meds and am hoping to keep it that way....touch wood. :) no doubt the day will come when i will need to medicate. for now i just try and keep my PH and temp as stable as possible, and stick to a WC regime......seems to be working so far :)

Cheers

D

flukes
Thu Sep 02, 2004, 02:58 PM
White spot aka ICH is normally triggered by temp changes, make sure with your water changes that the temp in your storage barrel is the same as in your tank.
Just to help this from happening again.