PDA

View Full Version : Food grade storage bin for wet/dry

Chouin
Sun Aug 27, 2006, 02:34 AM
Hi,
I would like to know if someone know a company that do 25g-35g storage bin (like Rubbermaid) that are FDA approved.
Or, what kind of place sell them.
It will be use to do a wet/dry filter as the sump.
Thank You
Chouin

FishLover
Fri Sep 08, 2006, 03:51 PM
IMO, some plastics are not good to use for long term with fish tank, even if they are FDA approved food grade. Fishtanks last years and years. Plastic mostly don't last that long. After few years, it will start to leach out things to the water. Especially for Discus tank, the water is on the acid side and the temp is bit high. It may not have any problem for a short while (two to 4 years) but over a long run, I would not risk it. Some plastics are designed to start breaking down after few years. Some are not.

In my home, I replace all my plastic containers every two to three years just to be safe. Not sure if I want to use the same plastic in the fishtank more than 7 years old or not. I know all our filters are made of plastic. I'm thinking that I may have to buy a new filter after 7 years anyway.

You did not say where you are located. If you are in USA, WalMart may have some. If not, HomeDepo may have some too. Can't help you if you are in AUS. Never been there. Whish I could visit my brother there one of these days. He comes to USA once a while but I have never been down under.

80in55
Fri Sep 08, 2006, 05:35 PM
Try Tractor Supply/Farm supply stores. They always carry the rubbermaid stock tanks. Those are always great for sumps in SW, and I don't see why they wouldn't work just as well for FW. Just they don't make one smaller than 50 gallons! But, the more water the better!!