PDA

View Full Version : Planaria outbreak with wrigglers in tank

azzakat
Sat Aug 26, 2006, 02:06 AM
I was observing my first lot of wrigglers in the tank when i noticed these white things all over the glass, upon a closer look they were moving :shock: I have looked at a few threds and would say they are more likely to be planaria. From what i have read i should be doing frequent water changes to reduce the numbers but is this OK considering the wrigglers :!:
This is my first experience with wrigglers and i dont want to loose them

What should i do :?:

Merrilyn
Sat Aug 26, 2006, 01:52 PM
Have you got gravel in that tank Aaron?

Ideally breeding tanks should be bare bottom so they are easier to clean. A lot of food will build up when you start feeding the fry.

Planaria is a sign that your tank needs a good clean. They thrive on uneaten food. If you have gravel, give it a good vacuum and start doing small water changes twice a day. Take care to match the temperature perfectly.

azzakat
Sat Aug 26, 2006, 11:13 PM
no gravel in tank and i make it a habit to clean every afternoon.

Merrilyn
Sun Aug 27, 2006, 04:55 AM
Hmmm must be another reason then.

Are you sure they're planaria? They are a thin white worm and swim in an S shape. They don't usually stick to the glass, but spend most of their time in the water.

Another possibility is hydra. They are white, and stick firmly to the glass and to any other flat surface in the tank. When they're feeding, they wave their tentacles around like the branches of a tree, catching very small prey, like baby brine shrimp and fish fry :shock:

Nasty things that can do a lot of damage to a spawn of fry.

Try a google on hydra, and see if that resembles what you have.

Failing that, maybe if you could get a pic, that might help.

samir
Sun Aug 27, 2006, 05:01 AM
youre probably putting too much food in there.

Mulisha
Sun Aug 27, 2006, 06:05 AM
Would a uv kill both the nasties stated above if so might be a worth while investment.

Merrilyn
Mon Aug 28, 2006, 05:31 AM
UVs only zap stuff that flows past the globe, so anything living in the gravel or attached to the glass won't be affected.

It's great for getting rid of any bacteria or pathogens floating freely in the water, including white spot in it's free swimming stage.

azzakat
Mon Aug 28, 2006, 07:52 AM
to hard to get a photo they are about 3-4mm long and crawl around on the glass. I googled hydra and they dont fit the picture. Their numbers are in a decline and I'm now getting a problem with my water it's going cloudy, when i change the water it seems to have a yellow tint to it and it's getting harder to get the tank clear again. I do clean my tank on a daily basis and don't understand why the water went like this

Geckoman
Fri Sep 29, 2006, 03:24 AM
I KNOW IT'S A BIT LATE FOR THIS REPLY, BUT TRY ONE DROP OF GARLIC EXTREEM BY "KENT" PER 10 GALLONS IN THE TANK FOR ABOUT ON WEEK ONCE A DAY EVERY OTHER DAY AND TURN THE UV OFF WHEN ADDING OVERNIGHT. IT WIPPED THE PLANARIA OUT IN MY TANK. AND DO KEEP UP ON THE WATER CHANGES.