PDA

View Full Version : Spray paint on glass

Bad Inferno
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 10:08 AM
I am setting up two tanks in a rack and wanted to know if anybody has just spray painted the rear and sides, instead of putting on coloured paper as a backing.

I was thinking of just getting a "black" spray can and spray directly onto the glass rear and sides. As the tanks are in a shed I was also going to get some glue in a spray can (from art store) spray on top of the black paint then stick on some foam to help with insulation at the rear and sides.

Anybody used a spray paint on glass (which one) ?
should I use blue or black ?

cheers

kalebjarrod
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 10:34 AM
thats this tank,

gloss black, thats it

looks good when its clean

Bad Inferno
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 10:36 AM
Thanks
That looks like some serious litres !

kalebjarrod
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 10:43 AM
conner tank, 490ltrs i think?

want one a bit wider, not so deep. hard to get stuff off the bottom of the tank while holding your breath!

Chris McMahon
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 11:41 AM
I am setting up two tanks in a rack and wanted to know if anybody has just spray painted the rear and sides, instead of putting on coloured paper as a backing.I painted mine with Kill Rust (Matt Black). It's an all-in-one primer and paint that sticks to anything. I used a foam roller and gave it a couple of thick coats. Did the back and both sides.

I was going to leave it like that, but later decided to get a foam 3D in-tank background. It insulates the tank well. My 300w heater is more than enough to keep the tank at any temp I set.

conner tank, 490ltrs i think?You sure? That's more than my 5x2x2's 460L capacity.

flukes
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 02:06 PM
Yeah i think your better off using a roller, as you will get a more even spread of paint. I once used spray can which was a stone effect for the bottom of the tank, but this was a texture paint and was thick too begin with, of course there was still issues with layer thickness in some areas.

kalebjarrod
Wed Aug 25, 2004, 07:31 AM
490ltrs with out glass and allowinance at top

70 x 70 x 100 / 1000 = 490ltrs ish

probably close with my sumps as well

back to the topic at hand, i find sparying even as long as you buy a GOOD brand of spray paint. take your time and don't get too close.

it does take some practice not to get draw into holding the can close to the tank

Chris McMahon
Wed Aug 25, 2004, 08:10 AM
70 x 70 x 100 / 1000 = 490ltrs ishIt didn't look that big in the photo. I can understand why you're having trouble getting stuff off the bottom now.

I use a 60cm plastic arm with pincers and a cutter on the end. It great when you need something in the middle of a clump of plants and your hand is too big to get in there without uprooting the plants. Only cost ~$15 or so.

kalebjarrod
Wed Aug 25, 2004, 08:55 AM
seen them, never got a set though

as my wife laughs at me in the background

I have a spoon on a stick a piece of wire on a stick and a net on a stick

my family thinks i'm nuts

Chris McMahon
Wed Aug 25, 2004, 11:03 AM
seen them, never got a set thoughHere's (http://www.aquaria.com.au/cgi-bin/db/show?db=aquariacat&Section=Freshwater&Category=Miscellaneous+and+Sundries&ProductName=E%2dBRAND%2c+Plant++Tongs%2fPincers%2c +70cm) where I got mine.

kalebjarrod
Wed Aug 25, 2004, 09:17 PM
thanks! :wink: