PDA

View Full Version : mixed pair???

Escher
Mon Aug 23, 2004, 12:29 PM
:oops: Does it happend that a marlboro pairs up with, let's say' a diamond or something rather different. Would they breed true? Sorry I had to aske this stupid question: :roll:

wyldchyld01
Mon Aug 23, 2004, 12:45 PM
it can happen, i have a sun rising (they all have their own names) and a red turq that has paired off, i doubt that you would have all fry the one type, more than likely you will have mixtures and some throwbacks to the original breeding heritage of these fish, like pidgeon bloods.

try to breed them and see what you get, good luck

Brenton

Mattzilla
Mon Aug 23, 2004, 12:46 PM
no. when you mix strains you get around 40% of each strain and about 20% mixed. (those are gestimate figures)

although some strains are more dominant than others and that effects the variety of mixed strains.

Escher
Mon Aug 23, 2004, 12:54 PM
I was wondering because one of my ss is being bullied by a marlboro but a time it seems they are trying to clean up the pipe.

flukes
Mon Aug 23, 2004, 02:43 PM
The saying of a strain being true means that when you breed 2 fish the fry will be the same, or close enough. This is used when someone is trying to create a strain, lets say a ocean green fish with red spots. Once they have the 2 fish too breed they might not produce the same young, there might be throwback or just some variation between the colors. Once the strain is stable and the majority is like the parents the strain is then true.

There are also some strains that are more dominant than others. This following information is from an article writen by Conrad and Winnie of Creativediscus.

Dominant Genes (pigeon,white,ghost)
Anything crossed with a pigeon will create peppering on all the fry, as for the white anything crossed with it will just about be all white in the F1.

Weak (Golden)
Weakest gene in discus. If you cross a golden you will only get about 15% of the fry containing golden traits. To get to strains like golden leopard snakeskins the f1 must be crossed back with the golden parent and so forth, till one is happy with the result.

Unstable (snakeskin)
Because snakeskin is a mutation from a turq, when breeding there are alot of different factors. Crossing snakeskin x snakeskin will result in 2 different fry 14bars and 9bars (throwback).

Recessive Gene (spotted)
Because the gene is recessive if you get fryfrom a pair of spotted eruptions and they breed the spots will be less defined. Then further down the line as the fry is continuously crossed the spots will soon being too create lines instead.

I hope that helped.

cheers
Scott

Escher
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the info Scott (& others). It's all very usefull. I used the wrong terminology & was wondering whether ther could be a fertility problem by crossing totally different strains. But you have already answered that. To be honest I'll be quite happy if they do not pair. At this stage I would prefer to go for quality with proven strains rather then experiment.
Gianluca :)

flukes
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 01:33 AM
Mate there is nothing wrong with crossing.

Some of the best fish i ve seen have been crosses, but just because you cross a malbro with a diamond doesn't mean you can call it a "Malmond" :wink:

The correct term to use would be Malbro X Blue diamond F1

sunshinediscus
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 12:25 PM
Interesting info Scott, i see that written all the time on the internet about crossing pb with another variety and all the fish will be peppered. I think its a load of bolix myself as i have done that cross several times and never found that to be true. I guess different experiences give different results. Below is a couple of pics of a golden pb which is fairly clean crossed with a bd, every baby was a pb due to the pb i used having dominant genes and every baby was just as clean as the parent fish, some were even cleaner showing almost no black pigment. Also there is a pic of the same golden pb crossed witha brown discus, these are about 9 months old in the pic and as you can see very little black dust . The front fish in that pic is from a different pair, just the middle and back one are the pb x brown.

Rod

flukes
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 01:59 PM
Sorry i might have worded his information wrong, i meant by saying that the fry would just about all be PB, The amount of peppering depends on the parents or just luck.
It was more too point out that the PB is the dominant strain and more of the fry would be PB.
I personally havent crossed a pb with another strain so i cant record results. This article was taken as stated from Conrad and Winnie of Creativediscus. And you know where i got it from :wink:
Just wanted too help by showing what is the dominant strain, i cant predict nature and inheritance.

sunshinediscus
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 10:09 PM
Hey nothing directed towards you Scott, it just makes me cringe everytime i see that statement about pb crossing and proves to me that the people who originally wrote that stuff really don't know. One of the myths about discus keeping that many people seem to have swallowed.

Yeah i know where you got the info...lol.