PDA

View Full Version : Buying 4 discus -same type or varied? help needed!

Telperion
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 05:30 PM
Of course I would love to have a breeding pair but the age of the discus will be subadult, and I'm only buying 4. Is it even worth it to get 4 of the same type or 2 of one and 2 of another in the hopes that they will breed or should I just get 4 totally different types of discus and enjoy them?? :confused:

I'm ordering very soon and could use some advice!!

Peaches
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 05:38 PM
Do you want the for breeding or for pets. That's the fundamental question.

We have three different Discus b/c we aren't breeding, we're just keeping. They're happy and healthy...if they do breed, well...we'll have some new strain :shock:

Telperion
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 06:05 PM
Gotcha. I was leaning that way (4 different types). Thanks.

Dee
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 10:17 PM
Hello Telperion,

For now, I would choose 4 strains that you like and just enjoy the hobby of Discus keeping. If further down the track you want to breed, buy a matched pair then or you have a good chance of getting a pair from the four subadults you choose.

HTH,

Cheers,

Dee.

Telperion
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 01:33 PM
Thanks - after talking to the breeder again I decided to go with 2 blue snakeskins and 2 leopard pigeons. He says he's pretty good at sexing them, not 100% but there's a good chance I will have a male and female of both and we'll just see. I only have room for 4 (alas) - judging from what others have said, I can see a larger tank in my future once I really catch the discus bug!!

I'm soooo excited about my first discus tank. I will keep you posted and hopefully take some pics. :D

samir
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 03:32 PM
at what size did he sex them ?

Peaches
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 07:53 PM
There's still no real way to guarantee that they'll pair, even if they're the right sex.

In my experience being this new to the hobby, it'll be better to just take it slow and then once you've learned the TONS of things people here are willing to share, try the breeding thing.

The bug works QUICK!

Nathan
Thu Aug 24, 2006, 07:38 AM
well i hope they settle in well an cant wait for some pictures!