PDA

View Full Version : What to do; w/c or wait?

k9outfit
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 04:37 PM
I'm getting ready for a routine water change, and I noticed 1 of my tanks felt hot. The temp. is 35.2 C!!!! :shock: Fish are listless and not eating.

Question is, do I go ahead with the water change (aged, heated water at ~28 C) or should I wait for the water to cool off on it's own? Or possibly do a 20% change a couple of times throughout the day?... The tank could really use the cleaning, since last change was on Thursday!

Advice would really be appreciated!!!! :)

Benny
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 04:49 PM
From what i have been told (Im only going on memory) discus can tolerate a 3 deg C drop without suffering from ich.

If this is the case you can do a 50% wc @ 28degc and the temp will drop half of the difference. ie half of a seven degree diff is 3.5 deg c. so your temp would end up 31.7.

I would do less then 50% based on that calc. but definately replace your heater!!!!

Sorry to hear

k9outfit
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks! :D Whew; can breath again. No casualties.... so far.....

Removed the usual amount of water, then only added a bit back at a time. Sitting at 32.6 C ATM. Fishies seem a bit perkier, and even nibbled on some beefheart. Will be returning defective heater (only ~3 months old), but in the mean time have substituted the heater with one out of 1 of my barrels (used for ageing water).

Dee
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 10:47 PM
Hi K9,

Now you have the temp back to 32ish, I would just let the tank slowly get back to 28-29c. I would also hold back on feeding things like beef heart for the moment as it will very quickly break down and rot at those temps.

HTH

Dee. :)

Benny
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 12:50 AM
woohoo!!!

Im glad my advice seemed to be accurate :)

Keep an eye out for ich, you know, lil white pimpley things on their fins. But at those temps (32) its probably unlikely to develop. Best treatment if the need arises is a heat + salt method..

Regards