PDA

View Full Version : Just cant win grrrrrr !!!

Phlipper
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 12:27 PM
Cant believe the amount of trouble I'm having with my Discus.
My 2 male Red Leopards are constantly fighting over the female Red Turk to the point where one of the Leopards is constantly hiding and losing condition, so no choice but to move one of them out into a tank alone.
Now that makes 1 Red Leopard in isolation, plus 1 Marlboro Red I have to keep in isolation that was constantly being hounded by a Blue Diamond relentlessly and 1 Blue Diamond in isolation that wasn't getting along with anybody. The idea of a nice looking Discus tank is disappearing fast, it's like throwing money into the breeze :( and keeping single tanks for individual fish is just ludicrous, dam !!! :(

*Chris*
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 12:31 PM
try and get the spare fish paired up with something that will kepp them occupied and you happy

Mulisha
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 12:32 PM
Jee that's doesn't sound like a nice experence did you introduce fish while there were other discus already in the tank?

might have to wait for someone with more knowledge to answer..

Hope everything gets better mate when you get over this you will grow stronger..

Like they say what ever doesn kill you make you stronger :wink:

GoodLuck

Phlipper
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 01:05 PM
Pair up the spare ??? this is what got me in trouble with the others, they were all in together, bought at the same time roughly, but never ending battles ensued, the last thing I want to do is buy another fish and end up having another one in isolation...............no big problem I guess, just disappointing, something will work out in time I guess, wonder if they taste good :twisted: :lol:

*Chris*
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 01:07 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
expensive meal

Phlipper
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 01:23 PM
True..........but they fit on a plate just nice :twisted: :lol: :roll:

Mulisha
Tue Aug 22, 2006, 10:53 PM
Maybe Fish fingers :lol:

Merrilyn
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 02:24 PM
Phil if they were all in the 6 foot tank together, then that should be plenty of room for all of them.

I have a suggestion, which may sound a little tough, but toss them all in together, and let them sort it out. Discus are cichlids and as such, they will fight and sort out the pecking order, but they rarely do each other any real harm.

The main problem, as you've discovered, is that one fish may be on the bottom of the pecking order, and everyone picks on him. Now, if you remove him, then the second lowest fish will take his place.

In your case, I'd remove the most agressive fish, and put him in isolation for a few weeks, and when you return him to the tank, he will be on the bottom of the pecking order, but it will take a few weeks before he becomes the "new" fish in the tank.

marg
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 11:01 PM
Another suggestion - when you take the most aggressive one out, move the plants and landscaping around a bit - disorients them a bit - worked with mine :D ,

marg.

Phlipper
Wed Aug 23, 2006, 11:08 PM
At the moment I have removed the female and that seems to have alleviated the problem, now I think the boys are getting chummy ??? :shock:

All of them used to be in together for several weeks in a well planted tank, but one by one the problems arose so I started to move the weaker ones out to hopefully grow a little more as they were beginning to lose weight and become too reclusive.

Funny thing is there was still 5 Discus in the tank which I thought would of shared the aggression around a bit more, but no, it was mostly the terrible trio that caused the dramas, the eternal love triangle 8-) All my Angels have similar behaviour problems as well, but this does sem to be more severe, or maybe it's just because these fish cost a whole lot more and cause more of a headache :lol: ............no real drama, I will sort something out 8-)

sammigold
Thu Aug 24, 2006, 01:09 AM
Well Phil, I can feel for you.. :(
I have exactly the same issues with mine... I took my smallest one out and my bbt that was getting picked on and fattened them up over a period of a month.... whilst I did this my BD became bottom of the pack.... (not looking very good) anyway bit the bullet and put the other two back... things went well for the first few days and things seem to have improved for the littlest one but the poor bbt is back at the bottom again being totally picked on by two others... and the bd is currently in hospital tank whilst I try to figure out how to get him back to blue.( he is a very dark grey) anyway I seem to be constantly trying to sort this out..... in the end you feel like giving up! but I am just going to persist.... AS I know that you will too! As these fish are too pretty for their own good!! :lol:

Phlipper
Thu Aug 24, 2006, 10:03 AM
Well removing the only known female seems to have alleviated the problem at the moment. All the others have come out to play, and the two larger males that were continually seeking the attentions of the female have been swimming together harmoniously, so it seems so long as the girlie one isn't there to distract them all is fine..........hmmmmm, nothing new there eh ? :roll: :lol:

Jadels
Thu Aug 24, 2006, 11:16 AM
Haha u saying us females make guys turn on each other :shock: we would never do such an evil thing :twisted:

Peaches
Thu Aug 24, 2006, 10:31 PM
girlies don't cause the fights!!! :roll:

Mulisha
Thu Aug 24, 2006, 11:05 PM

:lol: :lol: And crocodiles don't eat fish :lol: :lol:

Peaches
Fri Aug 25, 2006, 12:54 AM

:lol: :lol: And crocodiles don't eat fish :lol: :lol:

exactly! :wink:

I think guys make the same amount of trouble... :lol: :lol:

FishLover
Fri Aug 25, 2006, 01:28 AM
When I had 6 discus, they fought all the time. I decided to add 5 more in the same tank and they are now much peacefull. I think it spreads the agression with more fish.

If your tank is big enough, try to have at least 9 or 10 of them (about the same size). It worked for me. Not so sure what will happen when the paired up! Mine is not there yet.