PDA

View Full Version : Voltage transformers/Step downs

Proteus
Sun Aug 22, 2004, 12:12 PM
Does anybody know much about 240v to 110v transformers/step down units.

I would be interested in finding out how easy they are to find, how reliable they are, and rough cost.

thx

Chris McMahon
Sun Aug 22, 2004, 12:17 PM
Does anybody know much about 240v to 110v transformers/step down units.Got some new toys from the US? Both DSE and Jaycar sell transformers. Price depends of wattage. ~$60-$500.

flukes
Sun Aug 22, 2004, 12:29 PM
Warning going to Jaycr results in coming home with alot more than you planned on buying and most of it you want use.. :wink:

Proteus
Sun Aug 22, 2004, 07:52 PM
No new toys from the US... (yet) but there are a few things that we dont get down here that I want to tinker with, as in be able to use, but also look at potentially changing to 240v or replacing motors etc (would get the stepmonster to look at that - he is the Electrical engineer)...

I mean hey, when you can get like 3-4 AquaClear 500's for the price of one here, it is worth looking into... (that is based on bringing them back yourself, so no postage costs)...

Bad Inferno
Mon Aug 23, 2004, 03:32 AM
WARNING.....Using a step down transformer means you are no longer protected by your "Earth leakage detector" as the transformer dis-couples you from the 240VAC active feed.
OH thats if you have ELD installed !!!!!!

kalebjarrod
Mon Aug 23, 2004, 09:41 AM
ELD = earth leakage detecor?

is that right

Bad Inferno
Mon Aug 23, 2004, 10:26 AM
yes

or "Electrical Line Diagram" however I do mean earth leakage detector in this instance

Bad Inferno
Mon Aug 23, 2004, 10:32 AM
OH one more thing make sure the device is rated for 60/50hz....I have tried using some 110VAC solenoid valves with stepdown transformer and have had trouble really don't know why as the frequency shift in a winding should not really matter. 60hz USA 50hz = OZ & Asia

If you can buy from Europe some places are 230VAC which is more suitable. ie Germany=Eheim...

kalebjarrod
Mon Aug 23, 2004, 10:42 AM
hay bad inferno

geuss your a plumber then? :wink:

Bad Inferno
Mon Aug 23, 2004, 10:56 AM
Worked for a US based company so I do get tempted to use 110 VAC equipment which I can get real cheap. Currently I have 110VAC industrial pH meter running off a transformer as I got the meter for $25.00

However would think twice if any equipment was in direct contact with the water.....Not really for my protection as I should know better however more for the family.

flukes
Mon Aug 23, 2004, 02:22 PM
B.I,
Once i setup this new breeding rack you think you could help me setting up the solenoid valves? and other electrical crap?

You dont know how too install power points do you? :D

Bad Inferno
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 02:11 AM
Flukes,
If you use low voltage equipment 24VDC then YES happy to help however I do not have an S-Grade license to do 240 installations and we all know water and electricaity don't mix !

I am in endeavour hills

flukes
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 02:33 AM
Yeah only one exist off the freeway from me.
Iam borrowing the solenoid from work, not sure of the volts used but it might not be needed anyway let me rack my brain on a design for a while and if i need your help iam sure i can pay you in dinner plates. :lol:

kalebjarrod
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 08:09 AM
yeah flukes most solienoids are 24dc

can't go wrong with SIMPLE ones (ie two wires) ones a common ground which all your soliends will hook to, ones a Positive to your control station each solienoid will have one "station" to attach to

you can't get the wires around the wrong way, it works either way!

flukes
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 02:04 PM
Ive seen the ones at work and they have 2 input things like a powerpoint but the ar alot smaller and straight.
Not sure how i would hook it up though, maybe it isnt 24dc because it is for factory use, iam not too sure am not good with those kinda things.

kalebjarrod
Wed Aug 25, 2004, 07:48 AM
post a pic! we will see?

Bad Inferno
Wed Aug 25, 2004, 08:26 AM
The voltage should be on the coil.......or tell us any numbers or letters you see on the solenoid. The valve body and coil may have different numbers.

Tell me what ever is written on the thing

flukes
Wed Aug 25, 2004, 02:43 PM
K ill get back too you on that tom. I know its german made if that helps :wink:

kalebjarrod
Wed Aug 25, 2004, 08:55 PM
flukes ill as well must have got it from you!

get better, see post soon

flukes
Thu Aug 26, 2004, 01:25 AM
hahaahha iam fine, sorry spelling i meant - ok, i'll get back to you tom.

haha :lol:

but thanks for the kind words :P

Bad Inferno
Thu Aug 26, 2004, 03:16 AM
Flukes,
I know this is off topic but where can I buy egg crate I have tried bunnings and some lighting shops.

I've got a 24" tank which I will make into a sump this week.

flukes
Thu Aug 26, 2004, 04:44 PM
I got mine from work, although i have seen floor dealers that have had it.

Are you sure bunnings didnt have it?? I have told people to go too bunnings before and they have got it.

If you like i could sell you some, i have a fairly big bit atm. If you dont need too much i could cut you off some.

Also soon i will be making trickle/wet-dry perspex filters that will be able too sit inside a tank. (Like the ones people have been discusing about ordering from america.

Once i try too make one for my self, and i have the technique down pat, i can make these for others for a fraction of the price that retailers are charging.

Nothing concrete yet, but ill be getting the equipment for mine this wek end.

Also iam not going to be making these too make money, so dont expect orders to be made in a day or 2.

If your intrested make sure you have all the measurements of the size of the box you need.

They will include the bulk head at the top too connect the hose. A holder for a drip plate (drip plate not included) a holder for the egg crate at the bottom too hold the media. And support on the outside so it sits on your tank.

I can take off any thinks like bulkheads and you can put on your self and i will adjust the price.

Work out the measurements from the inside of the tank, i dont want too be guessing the thickness of your glass and doing calculations for anyone.
Also i need too know how far it will sit inside the tank (sump), ie so i know where to put the supports.

Anyway just plans atm, just something to have a think about.

Cheers
Scott

Bad Inferno
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 12:09 AM
Flukes,

I did post a link to an ebay sump some time ago, guy from USA nice setup. I am trying to finish off my rack setup and will biuld a sump in a 24" tank. I think Proteus gave a pic of one of his setup's with a 24" tank with sump. Seems easy setup and cost effective. Do not know what the benifits would be of a perspex sump.

I am at a plumbing stage today, just having installed the internal walls of an overflow any recomendations at this stage would be good. Trying to figure out the easiest way to get a setup for a plumbed solution for manual water changes. See pic of where I am up to : Hope my pic fits the window this time or Proteus will have to send another of his very polite get it right responses !!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/rjconway/IMG_0052.jpg

flukes
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 01:54 AM
Do you remember the link someone posted of www.acryliccity.com, with the pic of the wet/dry too sit on the sump.???

Ok you see in Proteus's sump how the compartment sits off the bottom of the tank? This is the bit iam going to make. You will still need a tank for it too sit in.

How are you going to setup that sump? Are you going to use glass sheets and silicone too make the compartment that holds the bio balls??

To explain what i will be making i have done a little picture -

http://members.optusnet.com.au/flukes/sump.JPG

Ill be making that compartments that sits in the sump,

HTH

RO CAN YOU CUT THE WHITE SPACE OFF THE BOTTOM OF THE PIC, I COULDNT DO IT WITHOUT RESIZING THE PIC.

Bad Inferno
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 04:02 AM
I will have a glass partition to section off the bio area. As it is very easy to insert this glass and some supports for the egg grate. Probably 2-3" off the bottom of the tank.
What I was thinking is that the top of these perspex setups are great and maybe I just need the top piece to sit onto the bio area of the sump. Basically the top is a piece of perspex that sits onto the edges of the tank then suspended under this is the drip plate. The drip plate being constructed to fit inside the walls of the tank 1" depth that will also help secure the assembly. Only downside is the hieght of the BIO tower. As with the perspex ones they can extend out of the sump. My sump will only ever have to handle 400 litres if I ever get all 4 tanks going so I think that I can fit 15-20 litres of bio balls into the 24" sump design without having to extend the tower upward. I was also thinking of putting the small bioballs into the "intank" overflow area which must be 2 litres.

Main reason for me constructing the sump is that if I go away for 10 days I want to ensure I have a reasonable filter setup. Normally I will be doing twice weekly water changes.

Bad Inferno
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 04:15 AM
This is the style of lid I was talking about just sitting directly onto the glass edge of the partitioned area of the sump. Once I had the top I could even find a square bucket trim it down to 1" and glue it under the lid for the drip plate ?

Just the lid part
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/rjconway/150alone.jpg

onto this sump (which I think was Proteus's)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/rjconway/dscn2390.jpg

flukes
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 01:43 PM
Yeah thats the whole unit iam going too try too make, although i might try to make it a bit taller too get a lot more room for media.

Ill see how things go.

Paulo
Mon Aug 30, 2004, 03:55 PM
Does anybody know much about 240v to 110v transformers/step down units.

BAsically, there are two types of step down transformer, which are:

#1) Auto type step down is a single coil induction transformer which is commonly used for household equipment, such as microwave, TV's, radio station, VCR, DVD players.
Basically, it is not really meant to be used for motor driven electric products.

But if you're motor driven equipment consumes less than 30amp. then it is quite okay.

#2) Induction type is the two winding coil transformer that is usually used for motor driven equipment. This includes Water Pumps that are over 30amp. rating. Or electric motor driven power equipment like compressor, welding machines.

Now, if you're just gonna used it to power small pump equipement...it is okay, but 1st check out the current ampere or rated capacity of the equipment.

Lets say, the power consumption is only 11watts, by using the Ohm's law, you will get the ampere rating, like watt divide voltage will give you the ampere.

Or lets say, your Over Head filter consumes 2ampere at 230volts, just multiply the ampere and voltage = 460 watts power consumption.

If you have a 460 watts equipment, please make sure that you buy a higher capacity output. like 500 or 750 watts.

Hope this helps :wink:

flukes
Tue Aug 31, 2004, 03:08 PM
Ok its made by Burkert.
24V DC 10W it has written on it. Is this good for hooking it up too my house??