PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Barbs

danielb
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 10:08 AM
Anyone got any experience of keeping Discus and a Tiger Barbs shoal (6+ individuals)? I know they are not good with long finned fish like Bettas and Angel Fish but I can't find anything that says if they are ok with Discus or not...

Ben
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 12:04 PM
A big no go.

TB's are too eratic and swim to fast.
Plus they can be nippy.

Discus prefer the more peaceful fish species such as tetra's.

Ben

danielb
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks for clarifying that Ben, are Rasboras (eg harlequin & red tail) suitible tankmates?

Ben
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 12:47 PM
Perfect mate!!

But if you would like some stunning additions, go for cardinal tetras!!

danielb
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 01:03 PM
I've never had Cardinals before but I have had half a dozen Neon Tetras before and they did not impress me too much as they spent most of their time hiding in the plants and as it was a very heavily planted tank you hardly saw them! Although I guess the tank size is a factor for shoaling too as they were in a small (60cm) tank, I've heard good things about rummynose tetras as well.

wickedglass
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 01:20 PM
how big's your current tank? big enough for 20 or 30 tetras? ;) 6 may be timid, whereas 20 will be bold! security in numbers and all that. rummy noses are beautiful, too. I keep a shoal of silver tip tetras. they do their job as ditherfish, and they don't take away too much attention from the discus. and they're lovely fish. for more flash, try the cardinals that Ben suggested or rummy noses, but remember to get at least a dozen.

FishLover
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 01:59 PM
Neon tetras never do well in a Discus tank. They either end up inside the tommy of the Discus or could not handle with the high temp in the tank.

DR.V
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 03:16 PM
Yeah, tiger barb will nip slow swimmer fish ^^