PDA

View Full Version : tail rot

ahsan
Sat Aug 21, 2004, 09:02 PM
have got tail rot ,, help!!! i am from Pakistan , here not much medication are available , its getting worse day by day and not improving at all ,, i used the medication available but its not working soo far,,,
are there any medicines that could be of some use which i could get from chemist ,, or any popular medicine which i can get on special order from my fish vendor .
please specify a step by step method ,, coz my fish never had tail rot before ,, and its been really bad ,
need some help
ahsan

Merrilyn
Sun Aug 22, 2004, 02:04 AM
Hi again ahsan. Check your waater conditions. Sometimes low pH can affect fins and tails. How long ago did you do a water change. Have you got carbon in your filter. Watch your fish - are there any tankmates who could be nipping at the tails of the discus. And don't worry. Fin rot is easily treated and tails grow back beautifully.

flukes
Sun Aug 22, 2004, 02:25 AM
Well before using meds try good ol salt, tail rot shouldnt be too hard to find a med for. When you get hex or gill flukes then your in trouble.

kalebjarrod
Sun Aug 22, 2004, 06:53 AM
whats your temp?

if it sits at 27-28 maybe up it to 30-31 for a week with the salt

do the heat rise over a day

flukes
Sun Aug 22, 2004, 11:55 AM
Always forget too raise the temp, think i need to write it on my forehead.

ahsan
Sun Aug 22, 2004, 06:01 PM
Well PH of water is fine ,, changed my water after a week today ,, added salt ,, temprature maintained at 30 degree ,, dont have carbon filter ,, fish have clamped her upper and lower fins though she is eating ,, to avoid the possibility of tail nipping ,, i got the red tail shark off from the tank ,, now there are only 2 pairs of discus and a pair of catfish,, the tail rot is getting bad ,, i have used the medicine as well today ,,
need to know that how often i need to change water during the tail rot.
thanks everybody for your concern
ahsan

kalebjarrod
Mon Aug 23, 2004, 08:32 AM
i would do 25% every second day.

add extra salt to compensate.

thats me, what about everyone else

flukes
Mon Aug 23, 2004, 02:59 PM
What are the meds you bought mate??
Might give us a better understanding of wether it will have any healing effect on the tail rot.

ahsan
Mon Aug 23, 2004, 05:09 PM
well , i have got green liquid ,, which i am using right now ,, also got 35% - 40% formaldehyde solution but so far i havnt used that ,,now what i have seen is that the effected fish and one other fish is having clamped fins ,, dont know whats the reason for that ,,, but all the fish are still eating
anyway that's it
waitin for reply
ahsan

flukes
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 01:42 AM
I would say the green liquid is machalite green, which should be able to fix tail rot. If it is tail rot, i would be suprisedd if the salt didnt fix it.

ahsan
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 09:21 AM
well thanks everybody ,, fish looks fine ,, the tail i hope would get back in shape in a week for so ,,
doing water changes every other day , and adding 4 tsp per 10 gallons ,
thanks everybody
ahsan

flukes
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 02:21 PM
Good too hear things are working out, keep up the salt and try too not use the mach green unless necessary.

Great too hear things worked out well..

ahsan
Mon Aug 30, 2004, 06:42 PM
WELL , THINGS WERE WORKING NICE ,, tail rot stopped making any more damages ,, after that i shifted to a bare tank ,, and now i have noticed that the tail is gettin more bad , and now also i noticed the lower part of fin bein affected.
Temperature maintained at 30c , water changes up to 50% every fourth day , adding salt to the tank , around 5spoons per 10 gallon , sometimes even more.
fish is eating nice and moving around soo far. today i used a 37% formaldehyde solution , just less than one mL to 32 gallons.
no signs of any infection in any of the other fish. Also i would like to know that how much time does discus take to grow back her tail when she's fully recovered.