PDA

View Full Version : DISCUS HELP!!!!!!

sneider
Sat Aug 12, 2006, 08:46 PM
I ust put in my DISCUS into my tank Yesterday. Two of them are swimming fine, one hides behinds the filter tube and sometimes comes. But it sometimes is sideways behind the BIO WHEELS. Then all of a sudden he comes out swimming like nothing happenned.
I do have one that has been hiding for alot of time, it came out probably once this morning and nipped on some of the blood worms and I haven't seen it since. I can see it hiding and breathing.

I have an EMPEROR 400 on a 55 gallon tank, is this filter enough?

HELP!!!

sammigold
Sun Aug 13, 2006, 12:28 AM
New discus will usually take a while to settle into their new surrounds.... sometime a few days, sometimes a couple of weeks....
I would just make sure that your water parameters are ok and observe carefully over the next few days.... I wouldnt panic too much at the moment. (easy for me to say, I Know! Lol) The fact that they have come out to eat (even if its only a small amount) is very positive.

As to the filter question I will leave that to someone more familiar with filter types etc.

Welcome to the forums and I hope you enjoy your new discus.!

nicholas76
Sun Aug 13, 2006, 12:34 AM
That discus behaviour can be interpreted many ways.

New discus can and will show signs of stress when placed into a new environment. The symptoms you mentioned could be just that.

On another not it could aslo be a tad bit more sinnister.

check your water conditions and tell us what they are.

also what size are these fish and what size is your tank? Im not familar with that cannister whats the flow rate?

FishLover
Wed Aug 16, 2006, 09:15 PM
I'm no expert. Here are my two cents about the filter:

EMPEROR 400 is a HOT filter. If you use the bio wheels, the max rate is 80 gallon. I always reduce 30% from the rated max gallon as a general rule.

That means your filter should handle 56 gallon. If your fish load is not maxed out, I think it should be OK. Very close to the upper limit I would go. The boi media may not be enough if your bio wheesl stop turning. Mine sometime stops turning for no reason at all. That's why I no longer use the HOT filter with bio wheels.