PDA

View Full Version : Product Review - Hanna pHep5 ph meter

ozarowana
Sat Aug 12, 2006, 08:20 AM
I purchased this quite a few months ago. I have been using hanna meters at work for a long time and thought I would get one for the fish.

I'm very happy with it's performance compared to one I have used previously (from Mr D Smith). The one from Mr Smith would go through batteries like they were going out of fashion and take a year and a half to settle on a reading. The Hanna meter still reads 100% battery left after months of use.

A few good points of this meter.

Auto shut off after 8min
Temp compensation
Waterproof and floats
Reaches pH reading relatively quickly
measures temp aswell
Probe is replaceable

more details
Range: pH, 0.0 to 14.0; Temperature, 0.0° to 60.0°C (32.0° to 140.0°F)
Resolution: pH, 0.01; Temperature, 0.1°C/°F
Accuracy (@20°C/68°F): pH, ±0.05; Temperature, ±0.5°C (±1°F)
Calibration: automatic one or two points with two sets of memorized buffers (pH 4.01/7.01/10.01 or pH 4.01/6.86/9.18)

I purchased mine through an online auction for $120 delivered. There is also a pHep4 which isn't as acurrate but cheaper.

I haven't used other handheld meters so can't comment how it compares to others.

FishLover
Sat Aug 12, 2006, 03:50 PM
Hmmm... I use a different brand and I have to do calibration every few weeks.

How often you have to do calibration?

fishgeek
Sat Aug 12, 2006, 06:16 PM
fantastic product
i have had one 2 years and it is still on first batteries readings taken daily
battery life in 40% range now

calibration is supposed be done on a regular basis 2-4 weekly is advisable
hanna produce calibration solutions and the 2 point calibration is supposed to give more accurate pH readings

i have been slack in maintainece of my probe and had some issue's with pH reading high and drifting that could no be calibrated out
hanna(in the uk anyway) were extemely helpful and reset the meter after testing at no cost to me , even though out of warranty and i admitted my poor maintainence

very useful accurate(if calibrated regularly) and simple to use meter

andrew

ozarowana
Sun Aug 13, 2006, 04:35 AM
All meters (pH, TDS etc) need regular calibration. The instructions for mine say at least once a month.

Hanna also make a combo meter (pH & TDS).

Phlipper
Sun Aug 13, 2006, 12:10 PM
I also use the Hanna brand PH meter and have found it to be a godsend. I think most brands are good, but you get what you pay for, in my opinion and experience with various meters is that anything under a about $100 is not worth it, under that price they dont usually come with replaceable electrodes, are not water proof, battery life is poor.............I paid $120 for mine and works like a charm, calibrated about every 3 to 4 weeks, dont know how I ever did without it, drop tests are a pain in the butt.