PDA

View Full Version : Critical Discus! - Now dead.

Chris McMahon
Sat Aug 21, 2004, 03:27 PM
I've got a critical discus and don't know what to do. It's my new adult Golden Pigeon Blood.

It was fine when I did my water change at 7pm Sat. I had dinner and watched a move and came back for the last feeding at 11pm. At that time it what vertical in the water about 10cm below the surface. I gave it a little nudge with my finger and it hardly moved. Another nudge seemed to get it moving and it swam to the other end of the tank normally under it's own power.

About 3 minutes later it was vertical again about mid tank level. The current pushed it slowly to the end of the tank at it stuck to the filter intake (which is quiet gentle and requires very little effort to get off).

I gently moved it off the filter and put it in the centre of the tank. It again swam normally for a few seconds than "sank" to the bottom of the tank. It's currently resting in the crown of an Amazon sword, which is keeping it both away from the sand bottom, and in a normal upright position.

I'm inclined to leave it there as it's getting gentle support and being kept from laying flat on the sand and possibly inhaling sand particles into its gills.

It has no external signs of any disease that I can tell. It's breathing is normal, perhaps 30-40 breaths per minute. Its color is normal. All other discus in the tank, as well as the tankmates are acting normally.

I tested the water, here are the results:
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 5ppm
pH - 7.0 (up from normal 6.8 due to recent water change)
I've got an airline with a bubbler in the tank on full.
Filtration is 2 in-series canister filters - filter wool, ceramic rings and foam in each.
Temp is 29.5-30C.
Tank is 465L.

I did a 20% water change earlier today, like I normally do twice weekly. Using a hose from an internal tap with a mix of hot and cold water trickled in over 2 hours. ie less than 1 litre per minute. I added enough ACN dechlorinator (works on both chlorine and chloramine, and ammonia) to the tank before adding the water for 200L.

As a shotgun approach, I've treated the tank with "Easy Life" - a liquid filter agent and mineral tonic (like Geoliquid) - that will floc any heavy metals, MelaFix and PimaFix.

It hasn't been eating much the last week, but I put that down to the move. I have seen it peaking at food on the bottom, but it hasn't been rushing the food like the other discus.

For the last 90 minutes or so it's been motionless, apart from breathing, resting in the plant.

I have no idea what the cause of the problem is. The condition seemed to come on very quickly. Looking at the discus, it looks like it won't make morning. Apart from it's near catatonic state, it looks healthy.

Any ideas?

Merrilyn
Sat Aug 21, 2004, 05:09 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't think there is much hope if it has been motionless for 90 minutes. How long have you had this fish. Is it just a recent purchase?

Chris McMahon
Sat Aug 21, 2004, 05:45 PM
It died about 3am. Here's (http://www.discusforums.com/forum/files/img_0414.jpg) a photo I took just two days ago. He looked fine to me.

I'm sorry, but I don't think there is much hope if it has been motionless for 90 minutes. How long have you had this fish. Is it just a recent purchase?
Yes, I recently bought it on the 16th August, along with a breeding pair, from a local breeder. I've got the pair in a seperate tank and they are eating and appear normal.

I'll ring George from G&S later today and see if it's worth him taking a look at it to see if I missed some telltail sign.

With the losses the other week due to flyspray, and this loss today, I'm thinking about selling off the rest of my discus.

Merrilyn
Sun Aug 22, 2004, 01:34 AM
Chris, I'm so sorry to hear that. It soulds like you did everything right. It's horrible I know, but sometimes there doesn't appear to be a reason for fish dying. I understand how sad and frustrated you must feel, but don't do anything in a hurry mate. Give yourself some time to get over this and then see how you feel.

flukes
Sun Aug 22, 2004, 02:28 AM
You could always take the fish too a pathology lab, might cost a bit too get it done though, i remember it cost me about $120 and they couldnt even tell me how it died. If you do want too take it too a lab make sure they have done somethings with fish before.

Chris McMahon
Sun Aug 22, 2004, 03:09 AM
It sounds like you did everything right. It's horrible I know, but sometimes there doesn't appear to be a reason for fish dying. It might have been a delayed reaction from the move, although it seemed ok these last few days. The other discus had accepted it and there was no bullying.

I ran through my entire test kit this morning. Free iron, chelated iron, phosphate, GH, KH, redid the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate and pH. All were ok, and the pH had returned to it's normal 6.8.

From the reading I did this morning it sounds like it might have been water toxicity from the water chance earlier that day, but none of my other discus seem affected.

You could always take the fish too a pathology lab, might cost a bit too get it done though, i remember it cost me about $120 and they couldn't even tell me how it died.If I lose any more in the next couple of days I might try that. I even considered getting a vet to take a look, but unless it is something really obvious, I'd probably just end up with a bill and no answers.

flukes
Sun Aug 22, 2004, 03:18 AM
Yeah i would say a vet would be able too guess as much as you could on the topic. Have you guys got Gribbles up there? Its a path lab and i actually rang them up and asked if anyone was familiar with fish desease, i spoke to one lady who actually kept Fronies, she seemed like she could find out what exactly it was as she was trying to give me directions on how too disect it myself and have a look. But i never had a dead fish since so i havent had the chance too take one too her for testing.

Chris McMahon
Sun Aug 22, 2004, 05:38 AM
Just got back from G&S Aquarium. George says it looks like a healthy fish and most likely it was an internal organ failure, probably the heart.

It least I didn't kill this one through stupidity.

Proteus
Sun Aug 22, 2004, 05:44 AM
Dude, I am so sorry, I feel for you...

chrissyoscar
Sun Aug 22, 2004, 08:37 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss. Don't give up on discus as I'm sure you'll regret it. Hopefully that other pair you got will lay some eggs and breed for you.
I know how frustrating it can be at times. I've had my run of bad luck as well over the last 18mths, but I've always bounced back as I'm sure you will. Good luck with it.

Oscar