PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy a crappy pump ?

ctvu
Sat Aug 21, 2004, 03:03 AM
Hi guys and Scott

Eventually I got a standard 4fter tank. I am thinking about the water change as I am the same situation with some member here start work early morning and finish very dark. So as per Scott's advise (again thanks) what I will be doing is that I will buy a big drum to store water or age water and a crappy heater. But the pump I don't know what kind of pump is a 'crappy" one? where and how much would any one tell me please. Thanks

Dee
Sat Aug 21, 2004, 03:29 AM
Hi ctvu :)

Try ebay.com.au ..... there's a heap of cheap aquarium supplies there. i got a pump, for pumping water from my storage tank into my main tank for $40.00. ive seen them as low as $10 starting bid

HTH :D

Cheers

D

ctvu
Sat Aug 21, 2004, 04:00 AM
Hi ctvu :)

Try ebay.com.au ..... there's a heap of cheap aquarium supplies there. i got a pump, for pumping water from my storage tank into my main tank for $40.00. ive seen them as low as $10 starting bid

HTH :D

Cheers

D
Thanks for quick reply. Well I give it a go since I've never done it before.

flukes
Sat Aug 21, 2004, 05:08 AM
I bought mine from passion from pets as a pond pump cost about $50, but i know you can get cheaper than that one. Try Age of Aquariums, there isnt much in melbourne that i know of. When i say "cheap" pump i mean you dont need a pump that will cost you $200-300. Just get something that can pump water for 30mins a day. Just dont be spending over $100. Then again you might want too see if you can get a higher lph too get the water changes done quicker. I think mine is about 2000lph from memory.
If you work it out with your tank size you can find out what is required.
For example.
i have a 4x18x18= 225ltrs ill say 250lts just so its 1/4 of 1000.
So a 1000lph pump will fill that whole tank in 15mins.
Take into account head height. I would be looking around the 2000lph mark, go more if you want to spend the cash, as it will save you time in the long run.

HTH mate.
Cheers
Scott

Proteus
Sat Aug 21, 2004, 05:59 AM
Why not post a WTB here on the classifieds (will be seen a lot easier in there)

also, a wanted listing on Aquaclassifieds.com.au might be a help (just set the price to $0.00)

kalebjarrod
Sat Aug 21, 2004, 06:18 AM
pumps are great, i have one tank at the monement but i own over 6 pumps, don't know why! just do

try this speak to friends, ask around

half will have an old fish pond pump or water fountain pump that they think is broken or could not give a hoot about.

try these guys and gals first

thats how i got 4 of my pumps

ctvu
Sat Aug 21, 2004, 01:45 PM
Thanks a lot you all for your help, I really appreciate it, I might try some local garden see how I go.

Cheers

Mud Crab
Sat Aug 21, 2004, 01:56 PM
:shock:

Yup, Rubbish Dump :arrow: I just been to my local dump and picked up two water pumps used to pass water under pressure out of two seald 50 litre containers. Havent the chance to test them yet as i just got them today. Also, i picked up a few of them ubeaut filter canisters you put under your kitchen sink and ALSO some pvc piping, flexible tubing of various thicknesses AND an irrigation pressure cylinder made of fibre glass and to a capacity of 100lt... 8) .
Now i am dreaming about getting a sump and external filtration system, something i thought i could never afford.
The next step is to make my own sensors to test pH, Alkalinty, Temp, CaCo3 and whateevr else i can think of and hook these up to my PC...all for under $50. May I also suggest that you try your local auctions, I get heaps of bargain stuff from there as well. Never buy new or from second shops anymore. :wink:

kalebjarrod
Sat Aug 21, 2004, 11:27 PM
hay man don't steal my thunder,

i was looking into a computerized ph blahblah blah system as well

compare notes?

Mud Crab
Sun Aug 22, 2004, 12:49 PM
I am investigating the possibilty of using light spectrometry to determine water properties and element concentrations, thus avoiding messy chemicals and helping the colour blind who cant use too well colour charts. I will discus this further in the next few weeks in the DIY column. I would luv to compare notes any time. And the two pumps actually work :P and the bonus is they run off 12v, which is good for when I get the next cyclone and no power :wink:

kalebjarrod
Mon Aug 23, 2004, 08:30 AM
I was planning on whacking in a board that hooks to a set of servos that hook into my motherboard, modifying a couple of test kits, simple program and done!

your post just scared me

using light spectrometry to determine water properties and element concentrations

over my simple head sorry.

interested though!

flukes
Mon Aug 23, 2004, 02:16 PM
Well i think his is try too use light spectrum too give water readings. I noticed in Jaycar the other day thy had infared temperature units. Where you can use the infared too tell the temp of a surface without touching it.
Dont know if it would work on water but you would want a temp from the middle of the tank not the top.
Intresting stuff though.