PDA

View Full Version : Fish Cycling Question

MattB
Tue Aug 08, 2006, 09:29 AM
Hello, I set up my 189L discus tank last Saturday, and I was planning to add a few neon tetras this weekend to help the bacteria cycle start up, but I'm wondering if its too soon.

Unfortunately, due to a busy weekend, I'm hoping to purchase them on Thursday/Friday instead. At the moment I have been using "Cycle", "Stress Coat Water Conditioner", and "Blackwater Peat Extract" to speed up the bacteria cycle process.

My LFS is out of master test kits at the moment, so I can only test the pH right now which is about 7.1-2, but I am currently lowering it with peat extract. Basically, I am just wondering if adding 5-10 neons to a relativley newly established tank is a bad idea or not, or should I wait until later next week instead. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thankyou :)

Jadels
Tue Aug 08, 2006, 10:46 AM
I threw neons and goldfish in my tank to start off the cycle after about a week and they all lived and everything was fine... i wouldnt see a problem with it.

Liverpool_pete
Tue Aug 08, 2006, 12:19 PM
MattB

Somthing to keep in mind when you do get a test kit. Some now have used by dates on them and they only have a 6 to 12 month life on them so be careful. I was in a shop the other day and they had Red Sea test kist that were expiring in less than 2 months for full price. The other thing is the test kit i brought had no used by date but the amonia test returned a colour that was not even close to the result sheet and i have since been told that is because it is out of date as well and i paid near 150 for the kit. ( luckly it is being replaced free of charge ).

Just thought i would point it out.

Peter

sammigold
Tue Aug 08, 2006, 12:46 PM
You will need to put at least one fish in there to start the cycle I think... otherwise you have no waste being produced to start of the actual biological cycle.

If you just have the water it will just stay water until you add either ammonia (as in a fishless cycle) or add a fish to start the bacterial process.

Here is a link to an article that describes the cycling process.
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/biologicalcycle/a/nitrogencycle.htm
HTH

MattB
Tue Aug 08, 2006, 09:49 PM
Alright then, I'll get a few neons, and check the "quality" of the master test kite before I buy one :)

Thanks a lot for all the replies :D