PDA

View Full Version : Apisto ID needed please

chrisso81
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 07:40 AM
Picked up this agasizii thinking it was a female because it was in a tank of double reds but I think it may actually be a male of another varient. I don't doubt you either Thomas, but I want to print out a longer thread as evidence before I crack it at the lfs. They said they couldn't be 100% sure as to male or female, but if it isn't even a double red then surely I can take it back?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/chrisso81/aaaaapistossid013.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/chrisso81/apistoaggifem.jpg

Noddy65
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 07:56 AM
Looks like a young wild type (LFS type anyway) male to me...
I have a very fully grown male of this variant in my sig...

Mike

Th0mas
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 08:27 AM
Picked up this agasizii thinking it was a female because it was in a tank of double reds but I think it may actually be a male of another varient. I don't doubt you either Thomas, but I want to print out a longer thread as evidence before I crack it at the lfs. They said they couldn't be 100% sure as to male or female, but if it isn't even a double red then surely I can take it back?

Hi Chris,

Don't worry - I've been wrong before.

The tail's pattern is a dead giveaway it is a male from my understanding (female may have coloured tail, but solid without pattern). I've had a male with such pattern/colour (yellow chest) from a LFS in Sydney labelled as "orange-red" variant. But there are lots of deviation from the so called "double-red" variant, so it's probably tell the LFS you're after a pair and only have room for a pair but you're given two male instead.

Good luck,

Cheers,
Thomas.

wickedglass
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 11:12 AM
positively sure it's not a double red with that border on the tail and its definitely not a female of that variety, either.
however, he looks like a nice aggie, which shop did you get him from and how much was he? (please PM me this info if you prefer)

chrisso81
Tue Aug 08, 2006, 01:36 PM
First up: thanks guys!

Secondly, this little fella just keeps changing every day. He's now developed a deep purple/black around the edges of his tail and a few days ago it was just clear, and he's getting a yellower chest and a purple sheen down his body. Interesting......here's a pic:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/chrisso81/sid014.jpg

ON another note, I travelled ages after work to pick up a true double red female only to get home and find my actual double red male dead. :cry: So, if anyone knows where I can get a killer double red boy that would be great!

Noddy65
Fri Aug 11, 2006, 01:14 PM
Hi there
Still looks like the bog standard wild type agassizi to me...mine is in my sig picture..he is an amazing looking fish..the wife reckons he's the best in the fish room at around 6 or so cm..yours looks great...they get better as their fins elongate...

Mike

Th0mas
Fri Aug 11, 2006, 01:28 PM
Mike is right - regardless whether he's a double red or not, he's still a beautiful fish.

Thomas.

chrisso81
Fri Aug 11, 2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks guys, I do agree, he is getting better and better everyday, now he's developed a whole heap of green through his face and body too, in the right light even his eyes are green!

So, what can I breed him with? Or is that just an impossible decision to make without knowing his 'strain'?

Noddy65
Sat Aug 12, 2006, 02:00 AM
Your LFS should be able to get A. aggassizi, no race/strain/colour type etc...just the normal wild type...breed him with a nice female...

Mike