PDA

View Full Version : Aquascaping.

flukes
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 04:10 PM
Just wondering if anyone has some ideas, on how i can raise a corner of the tank.? The thing is i still want plant growning there and not just plants that attach too rock. Iam not just talking a little bit, i want it too look like a slope like it comes out of the top of the water, if that makes sense.

Also has anyone tried moss walls?? I had a go with Ricca a while ago but because of poor lighting i had no success. Just wondering what people use other than java moss. Is xmas moss the same as java moss??
I want a nice moss wall with glosso as a ground cover aswell as a few different types of crypts.

Also if i have the whole ground covered, how will i be able to give the gravel a good clean with all the plants in the way. I want a tank covered with plants. Any past experience anyone?/

Cheers
Scott

flukes
Sun Aug 22, 2004, 02:27 PM
no green thumbs??

Proteus
Sun Aug 22, 2004, 08:00 PM
when I get back from work I will give some suggestions...

kalebjarrod
Mon Aug 23, 2004, 09:52 AM
sorry dude

do you want the maoss to grow almost vert or more of a hill like setting?

just a little confused, like normal :wink:

flukes
Mon Aug 23, 2004, 02:20 PM
Naa naa naa, I am going to make a moss wall at the back, there is no problem there done that before. Just need a bit of gutter guard and thread the moss on. But i want to create sort of a hill in a back corner of the tank so it looks like its the side of the river. If that make sense. :oops:

I can make higher levels using driftwood. Maybe if i just make like steps using driftwood up to the top of the tank, and then use some kind of plant too cover every thing.

After having all these barebottoms i got a urge too do some aquascaping, not for discus though i might keep some community fish like rams, cories pepp bn's. And something else but i want too get the scaping done first.

Anyway ill think of something.

Cheers
Scott

kalebjarrod
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 10:12 AM
ever thought off melting perspec's into shape and then glueing sand or rock to it?

you could make some holes in this and insert small plastic pots with plants in them if so desired?

or just buy some fake fiberglass rock.

someones posted about this before, i think it was chris from the Goldie?

Chris McMahon
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 11:51 AM
Take a look at the terrerce walls (http://www.aquariumsrus.com.au/access/aquaart.htm). They have feet behind them, which you bury, to stop them tipping over under the weight of the substrate.

flukes
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 02:13 PM
Yeah id need a few of the them though too make a hill effect. I might not go all the way out of the water, ill wait till iam ready too have a good think about it and plan exatly what i want too do.
If i put 2 double reflectors over the tank do you think this will be enough light??
Iam thinking of using a 3 ft tank for starters, then 2 double reflectors which is 4 tubes at 30watt which is 120watts. 36x14x18 is just under 40gals which comes too 3 wpg, do you think this would be enough too keep some harder too keep plants like tiger lotus and a few low level plants that require a bit more lighting.??

Haven't had a planted tank in a long time, probably because i killed the first lot of plants.

Chris McMahon
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 11:17 PM
Iam thinking of using a 3 ft tank for starters, then 2 double reflectors which is 4 tubes at 30watt which is 120watts. 36x14x18 is just under 40gals which comes too 3 wpg, do you think this would be enough too keep some harder too keep plants like tiger lotus and a few low level plants that require a bit more lighting.??3wpg should be ok.

maddyfish
Wed Aug 25, 2004, 01:36 AM
Christmas moss is similar to Java moss only with finer strands, and in my experience takes more light for good growth.[/quote]

flukes
Wed Aug 25, 2004, 02:11 AM
yeah i do like the look of christmas moss, just seems hard to find here in oz.