PDA

View Full Version : Discus v. tank dimensions + a little extras

phidelt85
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 07:35 PM
Hey all!! Just needed some advice on my next tank setup. I am looking to setup a discus tank for my wife (she changed her mind from Mbuna's to Discus after our last trip to the LFS).

First question: I am looking at two different tanks. 125gal (72 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 23 3/8, i believe) and a 150gal (48x24x31, the one I was looking at). I understand that discus like taller tanks; would the 150 be better because of the extra 8" in height with a loss of 24" in length? or although I lose 25gal of capacity is the 125gal better because it is longer but shorter in height. Note: the 150 gal is a heck of a steal @ $350 vs. 125gal @ $340.

I'm kinda leaning towards the 125gal because it is longer; therefore, giving more of an area to establish territories amongst the discus or any other fish I may have in there.

Second question: I am looking for some tankmates for Discus. I am looking to keep between 6-10 Discus. I have looked at cardinal tetras and may get a school of ~20. I want to get some blue Rams as well but don't know how many (I can find these pretty easily locally). How about Apistos? With blue rams or alone?

How about any combination of the following and preferrable quantities:

Von Rio Tetras (already have some of these and want to move them over)
Gouramis (dwarfs)
Clown loaches
Some type of Synodontis
Farlowella (how big do these guys get? I have read max 8" is this true?)

any other suggestions would be appreciated

Third question: I want to setup a planted tank. Would a laterite substrate w/ a top layer of Pool filter sand work well. I want a planted tank to make it look more like a natural biotope. I like the aesthetics of plants and believe it brings a different sense of life to the tank.

Fourth question: Concrete backgrounds and Discus water chemistry. Once cured I wouldn't foresee any problems but I wanted to have some input from anyone that has tried it.

phidelt85
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 05:01 AM
Anybody?? I could use some input please

Jadels
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 06:47 AM
I'm only new, but i think the longer tank would be better, i have 1 discus and it is more in the middle of the tank, so i would like somthing longer so i could have more and they could swim along... But a taller tank always looks good.

I read somewhere that gouramis are too hungry and dominating and are a bit stressful for discus so maybe re think those. I think i read something that clown loaches are ok whilst there small but if they get too big they arnt very good.

I have no idea about plants either... but mine grow in rocks/gravel